Winter Wheat

Jiang Chuchu did not kill the live pigs that the convoy brought in, but instead asked people to take out the pickled pork and ham for preparation.

  Clean the pork and ham twice, rinse them with water briefly, take them out and let them cool, then chop them into pieces of appropriate size.

  Heat oil in a pan, add meat and vegetables, add a little seasoning and you can eat.

  It's not even winter yet, but the temperature is exceptionally cold. These villagers are different from them. They burn charcoal in winter, but these villagers can't afford it, so they burn firewood they picked up from the mountains.

  So even if the old woman told them to use it, Jiang Chuchu felt a little embarrassed. She looked at the firewood neatly stacked on the ground, and thought about the soldiers and bodyguards stationed outside the village. She couldn't bear it, so she had to trouble the village chief again.

  In the side room, as the oldest grandson, the eleven-year-old Dalang had already grown up and was sensible. A group of little kids kept swallowing their saliva and staring at the white rice in front of them.

  Dalang was the first to react. He quickly picked out the beef cubes from his younger brother and sister's bowls, rolled one of the bowls of white rice into small balls and shared them with his younger brother and sister. He put the rest away and prepared to give them to his grandmother.

  They usually only eat porridge, and the brown rice grains can only cover a layer at the bottom of the bowl, and they often don't feel full. These are dry rice, and they are all cooked rice. Next time, add more water and heat it up. It will be enough for them to eat for several days.

  He had just handed the dry rice and pork cubes to his grandmother when he heard someone knocking on the door.

  “Boom boom boom.”

  When the old couple heard this, they knew that an important person was looking for them, so they hurriedly got off the kang, opened the door for the important person, and invited him to come in and sit down.

  This side room was a bit shabby and there was not much furniture. All that caught my eye were two wooden boxes placed on the head of the kang, locked with a big lock.

  There wasn't even an extra bench here, only a coffee table on the kang, on which was the rice she had given to the children.

  Jiang Chuchu did not follow the old couple's instructions and sat on the kang. Instead, she stood at the door and looked at the village chief who was in charge and said, "Father-in-law, there are so many of us that we may not have enough firewood. I wonder if any villagers have any extra firewood. We are willing to buy it with money."

  "Oh, look at my brain." The village chief slapped his head and thought of the people who stayed at the entrance of the village.

  "I'll have some firewood brought over right away."

  The village chief was old and could not run fast, so he asked his grandson to notify the villagers.

The villagers began to pay close attention to these people as soon as they entered the village. They did not dare to approach them, but secretly listened and quietly asked the people living next door to them for news. When they heard what the village chief's grandson said, everyone picked up their own firewood and sent it to the village chief's house.

  In a short while, there was so much firewood that it almost blocked the door of the village chief's house.

  After finally getting Wu Bi to maintain order, Jiang Chuchu asked Yiyun to take out her purse and start exchanging money for everyone.