Chapter 46

A few days had past and the starting events of the gala were going in full swing. It was time, according to Bvelpio for Vassenhilo to bring out his prize pet. The head pets of each trader was generally given the same faux freedom as Ruma, able to walk around with out a chain and to come and go as they pleased. Only because they were so well recognized they couldn't move past even the novice guards without being noticed.

However for Ruma's males and sons, the story was different, they all wore chains that looked rather pretty and shiny. It was attached to a collar around their neck and cuffs on their wrist and ankle, for the most part they could move around and walk without interference, but if the chain was grabbed it would start to lock everything together to keep them from running or fighting. There was one additional long chain, attached like a leash to them and was place in the hand of a guard, one for each of them. Though there was another guard that stood oddly closer to the one holding Ratok's chain.

Ruma stood next to Vassenhilo, wearing a white dress-like outfit, wrapped in a x around her chest and gave a small slip front skirt that trailed longer in the back. There was a half off the shoulder sleeves that looked like it had teared ribbons that flowed off the back. For someone who was always so casual or wore things not so form showing. It was beautiful yet strange.

Vassenhilo had someone come in and do her hair, for the most part it was left down but they pulled the sides back with a large hair piece that was made a white metal that sparked and was just as bright as her dress.

"Try not to through a fit while we are here." Vassenhilo looked at Ruma, who only returned an upturned nose to him. "There is a auction today, and it isn't too late for me to put your youngest on the block. Test me Ruma."

Ruma crossed her arms and looked away.

Bvelpio looked between Vassenhilo and Ruma. "Come now my friend. You are being so harsh on your girl."

"Now I am being to harsh? Wasn't I being to easy on her?"

"Nonesense, Ruma is not like other pets, you can't treat her as such, look at her, she is like a little precious jewel, you should spoil her as such."

Vassenhilo narrowed his eyes at Blvelpio. "I dislike your games."

"No game Vassenhilo."

The group interred a large bazzar. With vendors, traders, and shows going on. Every single one having something that wasn't allowed in normal society. They past harvested organs from endangered animals, plants that were banned from being sold, drugs mostly, parts that could be used, pets for sell. Not just human ones, but all kinds, from actual animals, to other alien species. There was clubs, items for sell, and markets stalls for people signing up breeders.

As they walked, eyes turned. Ruma's strangely bright white outfits stood out from everyone else who wore more subtle, darker colours, like brown, or navy blue. As they past stall after stall, it was easy to tell who starred in admiration, and who stared in jealousy, or longing.

When it was said that Rindosa's were sought after. That was an extreme understatement. As they entered the centre, things caught up. Pets with lines as as 1/256 rindosa blood were being sold at ridiculous prices. Clothes and decoration pieces made from their hair was bought like novelties, arts pieces made by them were selling at antiques.

Ruma's movement stiffen as she kept her eyes forward. Walking through what was left of her people's legacy, looking very literally like a ghost of the past. Until Bvelpio paused, his eye catching on something, Vassenhilo stopped too.

To their left was a stage, a crowd came around it as an announcer brough everyone in. He yelled loud enough to even Ruma's ears hurt. They were speaking in the secret language of the trades. They were announcing a very special object up for sell.

Soon on the stage they brought a girl, fairly on the tall side, with a mane of red hair with white stripe through it.

"Here folks we have for you a perfectly bred pet from a Rindosa line. Not just any line, she comes with a fully fleshed out pedigree, and her grandmother was none other than the Geldeto legacy Ruma."

"Quite the genes your pet has, you can tell where that one gets their hair from." Bvlepio says, looking down at Ruma whose face was stone cold with no expression. They stood there watching as the bids started at 4 Quad, and then started quickly going up and up. They were starting to hover in the 590 Quad when the person onstage noticed them in the back.

"Bidders, if you want to see how closely she looks to her grandmother, we seem to have a very special guest standing in our back row." people started to turn their heads, getting a good look at the group behind them. Like magic the bids ended at 2.1 Quid.

With that Ruma's eyes almost seemed to gloss over like a dead man's. She continued to walk with her Master, but any question or comment made towards her was answered with an auto response. She was only there in body, her mind was completely gone.

As they got past the crowds and the stalls, there was a nice little luxury box, with Vassenhilo's name carved into a large sign. There was several more boxes just like it, running down a long street walk. This was the specialty area, where the high value traders would come and sit and allow people to come to them, instead of having to walk the stalls like the rest of them. Ruma sat locked into herself. The boys were given a bit more leg room once in the box, as a safety screen was put up once they entered meaning they couldn't get out even if they wanted to.

Kaylo decided that the crowds were too much for him so he would just play the part of lap puppy, and laid his head on his mother's lap and went to sleep trying to alleviate his own levels of stress. Ruma mindlessly stroked his hair. Slowly coming out of her stupor.

Tyklyn looked like a very angry tomato as his face got as red as his hair. Deon held back, with Ratok he looked over. "Is this normal?"

Ratok nodded, "When your the last of something, you become even more valuable."

They both turned to watch Ruma hold herself together by just the seams as she was slowly becoming unstitched. A few vendors came up to them, selling luxury items, nothing too crazy. Until a studly looking human came strolling up. He had a coy smile, but a devilish charm around him.

"I have been sent by my employer to inquire about some information from you, Vassenhilo."

"Who is your employer?"

"Mardox,"

Bvelpio raised an eyebrow, or at least his scaled features resembled an eyebrow. "Mardox? What pleasure do we have to catch his attention?"

"Your pleasure? No, the pleasure is ours to be in the presence of ones such as yourself. He was at your little meeting that got you invited to this Gala. He wants a meeting. To negotiate the breeding price." the human talked slow and with a long drawn out accent.

"For the male?"

"Or her, if she's available, he has a Cartiena that he'd love to see what would come from those too. He has the coin to drop too, if you catch my drift."

"I understand." Vassenhilo said, "My evening is free for meetings such as the one he is wanting, tell him that, and return with a time."

"Of course." he left quickly.

After he left Bvlepio looked back at VAssenhilo, "Are you going to let him bargen for her?"

"She had a heat and she isn't expecting, so obviously her males aren't up to par in the department I need them to be."

Bvlepio shrugged, "I suppose."

"We can discuss this later" Vassenhilo said as the next vendor walked up.