Chapter 54

A loud horn sounded over the whole of the maze. Tyklyn and Deon stopped and looked around, not seeing anything. They looked up, towards the sky, that was a faux picture made by the game coordinators. In the corner there was a screen that calculated the amount of groups that were still left in the maze.

In one spot it showed how many had completed the maze, as of that moment it had only been one pair or grouping, they weren't sure outside of that. In the other it showed how many were still active.

That number just went down by two, and the number for completing the maze hadn't moved a muscle. Meaning that two groups had been killed.

"This is the last route we have Tyk, this has to be the way or we've lost a path somewhere back there." Deon said, bringing his head down from the sky to look at the other.

Tyklyn just nodded, not saying much else to the situation. "Lets just keep moving, its all we can do."

As he said that three more cannon went off. They both quickly looked back up, two more groups had made it out alive and one more group met a more fatal ending. An eery feeling set over them both as they ventured forward. For that many to go off at once, they wounded silently if that meant that there was a trap laying just at the exit to the maze.

The closer to the edge of the maze they went it seemed to get muddier, the lights were dimmed more in this area, and the faux fog that had been created was thicker. At this point the two, were basically walking hip to hip of each other to make sure that they didn't lose track of the other, but continued to more on, following the long stretched parts now.

This maze, now just felt like look halls one right after the other. Until they got to the point that the mud was up over their ankles.

"Maybe we should turn back, try to find something to help us walk through the mud?" Tyklyn said, stopping at one point, as he watched himself sink just an inch more into the mud before stopping.

Deon shook his head, we are already this far, it would be a waste to trek all the way back, just for the possibility of not finding anything to aid us and then have to trek it back again, and we are already exhausted.

Tyklyn nodded, and for once listened to Deon and they continued forward. After another forty minuets of travelling through this deep level of mud, the air changed to where it now seemed to smell of salt, very potent levels of salt, with now obvious point of were the smell would come from.

Any time it got significantly stronger the duo stopped searched around, and then would continue on, doing this about for times, until just breathing felt like they were chewing on salt blocks.

A few more feet into this area and the fog started to clear, and showed the exit out. "There!" Deon shouted and picked up his speed a bit since there was still no sign of a trap down this way.

Tyklyn held back a moment, not trusting how easy this last steps were. His eyes scanned as he followed behind, it was at the last possible second, when he spotted the mud covered arm, floating just out of sight of the main path.

"DEON STOP!" he bellowed out, as he followed the trail over to so large mounds in the mud, that looked as if something large was moving from it. Deon halted and looked back, as Tyklyn pointed to it. Deon saw the body and leaned forward to stare at it, him being about twenty feet or more away and Tyklyn being closer but still about ten feet off.

While they were busy studying the weird mounds in the mud, trying to search for where that creature was, they failed to do the one thing they had learned earlier in their journey which was to look up.

A large monkey spider hybrid, strength its six limbs out to hold itself tightly against the walls of the maze. It stared down with its six eyes looking in different direction studying their movement. As it noticed them starting to move towards the body, it screeched loudly filling the maze with its ear busting sound.

Tyklyn covered his ear, and managed to suffer through it, Deon however- he covered his ears and buckled into the mud below.

Tyklyn was able to spot the creature now that it had given away its location. With in seconds of seeing it, he knew there was no way a quick shot to the exit would get them out of there. He would need to get it to follow him back some so that they could go forward, but he was also certain that creature was better at navigating this muddy terrain that they were in. "Hey! Howler!" he yelled grabbing the beasts attention. "Come get me." he yelled and then shot back down the hall. The creature scuttled down the wall and followed Tyklyn quickly catching up with him, even as the other ran at his highest speed. Deon finally pulled himself from the mud and watched as he saw the spider, lounge down onto Tyklan. He scrambled, slipping and falling in the slimy mud so that he could get after those two. He could heard Tyklyns grunts, as he tried to fight back. Before Deon was half way towards them, he watch the giant monster grab tyklyn by the leg and flinge him back like it was some rag doll to this thing. Tyklyn landed with a slopt from the mud under him, sliding to a hault fifteen or so feet behind Deon. Deon switched gears and flipped back around to grab Tyklyn, who was already pulling himself up, wobbly it be. The two bolted towards the opening with the sound of the six feet pattering in the mud beind them. "Don't look, don't look" they both said huffing and forcing their bodies to the limt as they got closer to the exit. When they heard something flying through the air. They both without telling the other decided to hit the deck, dropping into the mid before seeing a corpse come flighting through the air, and splatting on the ground in front of them. They both rolled out of the way, hiding in the mud, as the beast scuttled past. It stopped and looked around for them. The boys stayed as silent as the could, holding their breaths and only taking the short, quiet and quick ones they need too. As the spider monster ran up and down that small corridor looking for them. It went on like this for several minutes, until they tried to signal back and forth to each other to start crawling. And so when the monster was not looking in their area they started crawling through the mud. Taking all the time they needed to, to make it as silent as they could. The better part of an hour trekked on, as they neared the finish. As they were about to celebrate a victory. Deon felt something grab him, quickly lifting him high into the air. Coming face to face with the monkey-like face. It screamed at him again, allowing him to see the massive lethal teeth it had. The hybrid beast turned down the corridor and slowly in a baseball like fashion pulled its arm with Deon in it. Back as it was going to toss him. "Hey! You still didn't get me. Why don't you try and hit me!" Tyklyn call standing pretty much at the exit waving his arms in the air. The monkey swirled around and grunted, then quickly threw Deon at Tyklyn. Tyklyn was quick to dodge watching Deon hit the ground with a thud. He ran to the man who was now unconscious and threw him over his shoulders and hiked it out of the mud and down the clear path, with the creature close behind. He passed through the last part that was surrounded in a night light. Hearing a cannon sound just behind him signally they made it through. He dropped like a rock to the ground, Deon's unconscious body rolling off of him. They had made it through and in fourth place of all things.