BETWEEN THE LINES

The young girl stood outside the university, taken aback by the unusual sight of the older woman, Lingling, waiting to pick her up after school. It was a first-time occurrence, and Orm hurriedly walked towards the CEO's car parked outside. She gently knocked on the car window, and as it slid down, Lingling beckoned her to get in.

Surprised by the unexpected pick-up, Orm inquired, "How did you know it's my school dismissal time?"

Lingling casually replied, "I didn't know, I just waited."

Orm's eyes widened in astonishment, prompting a chuckle from Lingling. "Why do you look surprised?" she teased.

"Oh, because this is the first time you've picked me up?" Orm questioned.

Lingling reminisced, "This is not the first time, Nong Orm. I used to pick you up in 7th grade when I learned to drive a car."

Acknowledging the past, Orm clarified, "You have a point, but I meant it's the first time today."

Lingling playfully assured her, "Well, get used to it now. If I have time, I'll start picking you up."

Orm's heart swelled with happiness at Lingling's newfound sweetness, appreciating the gesture.

As Orm fell into a moment of silence, Lingling broke the quiet, asking, "Do you have plans? If not, let's do something."

Suddenly remembering their intimate relationship, Orm hesitated, apologizing, "I can't have sex with you today, I'm on my period."

Lingling chuckled, "I'm not talking about that, Nong. I meant doing something like going out. Where would you like to go?"

Embarrassed, Orm shared her desire to visit an amusement park or go ice skating, lamenting the lack of companions due to friends' prior commitments.

Listening intently, Lingling's eyes sparkled as she checked her watch and proposed, "Let's go ice skating first, then the amusement park. Sounds good?"

Orm's face lit up with a sweet smile as she eagerly nodded in agreement, grateful for the impromptu adventure with Lingling.

As Lingling and Orm entered the ice skating park, the cold air filled with excitement and anticipation. Lingling, hesitant about her skating abilities, suggested she would watch Orm from the sidelines. However, Orm, determined to share this experience with Lingling, insisted they both give it a try.

"I don't think I can skate, Orm. I'll just watch you," Lingling said, a hint of uncertainty in her voice.

Orm, with a bright smile, replied, "Come on, I'll teach you. It'll be fun, I promise!"

Reluctantly, Lingling put on a pair of skates, holding onto the railing for support as she stepped onto the ice. Orm, skating effortlessly beside her, extended her hand, encouraging Lingling to join her in the center of the rink.

"I really don't know how to do this, Orm. I might fall" Lingling expressed her concern.

"Don't worry, I've got you. Just follow my lead" Orm reassured her, guiding Lingling with patience and care.

As they glided across the ice, Lingling's initial nervousness transformed into a sense of exhilaration. With Orm's guidance, she found her balance and began to enjoy the experience, the thrill of skating filling her with unexpected joy.

"I can't believe I'm actually doing this!" Lingling exclaimed, a mix of surprise and delight in her voice.

Orm laughed, her eyes sparkling with happiness. "See, I told you it would be fun! You're a natural, Ling."

Together, they navigated the rink, their laughter echoing through the icy air. Lingling, encouraged by Orm's support, felt a sense of freedom and connection as they skated side by side.