HEARTSTRINGS TANGLED

Earlier, Lingling informed her secretary to oversee the company as she planned to leave early.

"But Ma'am, you still have a meeting with Mr. Liu" the secretary reminded her.

In a sour mood, Lingling gave her secretary a fierce look. "Cancel it. I need to go somewhere." she snapped.

The secretary nodded and left the office after bowing.

Anxious, Lingling attempted to reach Orm, but her phone was out of reach. Frustrated, she mumbled, "If you don't pick up, Orm, then I'll come to you." before going to the office restroom to change.

Win, who was discreetly observing inside the office, heard it. He smirked subtly and closed the door gently before quickly heading to the university before Lingling could.

"Nong Orm, have you finished your class? I'll come to pick you up." Win said over the phone while observing the girl from a distance outside the university. However, Orm was unaware of his presence.

On the other end, Orm giggled at the idea of her brother picking her up, as this was the first time he had done so since learning they are related.

After speaking with her brother on the phone, Orm placed her phone back in her bag. She then turned to her friends and said, "Girls, you go ahead. I'll stay here." with a smile.

Orm's friends smiled and agreed before parting ways. Meanwhile, Win turned on his car and pretended to drive towards Orm as if he had just arrived, though he had been there earlier. He rolled down the passenger window and greeted his stepsister with a smile, "Nong, get in." Orm happily opened the car door and got inside, and then they drove off.

In the quiet confines of the car, the man finally broke the silence, his gaze shifting towards his stepsister. "How's school?" he asked, to make it less awkward inside.

His stepsister, her smile unwavering, turned to meet his eyes. "Just usual. My graduation is near, but mom is not here" she confessed with a tinge of sadness lacing her words.

A chuckle escaped the man's lips as he contemplated her words. "Then I'll attend. You want that?" he offered with a hint of playfulness in his voice.

At his proposition, the young girl's face lit up with joy, her eyes sparkling with excitement. Without hesitation, she flashed him a radiant smile and eagerly nodded her head in agreement.

The stepsister finds solace in the comfort of her brother's presence, feeling at ease and content while sharing moments and conversations with him. In contrast, the man, Win, makes a conscious effort to maintain a facade of normalcy and kindness, concealing his inner resentment and irritation towards the girl for inadvertently coming between him and the one he loves. Despite his hidden animosity, he recognizes the importance of appearing caring and considerate in her eyes to earn her trust.

Freen sat in her car, tapping her steering wheel out of boredom as she waited for her girlfriend, Becky, who had gone back inside the university to retrieve some forgotten items. As she glanced in her side mirror, she noticed another car pulling up beside hers. Furrowing her brows, Freen unbuckled her seatbelt and stepped out of her car just as the woman in the other car did the same.

"Phi Lingling?" Freen called out, recognizing the woman as Lingling.

Lingling turned towards the voice.  "Ah, Nong Freen, what are you doing here?"

Freen sighed, leaning against her car with crossed arms. "I'm here to pick up Becky. What else?" she replied, a tinge of annoyance in her tone.

"Did you see Orm?" Lingling asked, ignoring Freen's peevishness.

Before Freen could respond, Becky approached them. "Phi Lingling, what are you doing here?" Becky greeted, bowing slightly.

"I'm here to pick up Orm. Aren't you two together?" Lingling questioned Becky.

Becky glanced around and shook her head. "We were together earlier, but she separated from us." she explained.

"Let's go, Beck." Freen said, reaching out to hold her girlfriend's waist. She then looked at her sister and gave her nod. The couple got into their car and drove off, leaving Lingling standing alone, scanning the crowd of students in hopes of catching a sight of Orm.

Lingling sat in her car, feeling swamped and unsure of where to begin. She was uncertain about whom to address first or express her frustration to. In her current state of distress, she sought comfort from Orm, but her attempts to reach out were met with unanswered calls. After taking a deep breath, she drove off, grappling with her emotions and the need for relief.

On the other side of the highway, Orm sat beside her stepbrother, Win, feeling a mix of confusion and trust. She didn't know where they were headed, but as long as she was with her brother, she felt safe. Leaning her head back, she closed her eyes, drifting into a peaceful state until she was gently awakened by Win. Opening her eyes, she greeted him with a smile as he announced, "We're here, nong."

Looking around, Orm's face contorted in confusion. "Phi, is this your place?" she inquired, to which Win nodded with a reassuring smile, "Let's go inside. Since I will be your soon to be stepbro, I want you to learn more about me. Let's begin with where I live."

Exiting the car, they made their way into Win's private condo. As they walked towards his room, a mischievous smirk played on his lips. Inside the room, Win chose not to lock the door, inviting Orm to explore freely.

Orm admired the decor, noting, "Phi, your room is good. Manly. It suits you." her enthusiasm evident. Win simply smiled in response.

Approaching Win's desk, Orm's gaze fell upon a picture of Win with his parents when he was younger, and another of Win and his father. She remarked, "Phi, you look just like your father. Now I know why you look handsome." holding the frame. Win chuckled and teased, "But I'm more handsome than my father, right?"

Glancing back at Win with a giggle, Orm placed the frame back and continued to explore the room. Her smile faded as she noticed a picture of Win and Lingling in Japan, his arm wrapped around her shoulder, radiating happiness. Orm cleared her throat, looking away to conceal the pang in her heart. Win, subtly smirking, noticed her reaction, adding an intriguing layer to their unspoken dynamics.

The room was enveloped in a serene silence, with Orm and Win both lost in their thoughts. The younger woman, Orm, moved gracefully around the room until Win's clearing of his throat caught her attention. "Nong Orm, I have something to talk to you, just a simple favor." Win's voice broke the quietude.

Orm turned to face him, tilting her head slightly. "What is it, Phi?" she inquired, her tone gentle yet guarded.

"You know... I'm so in love with Lingling, and I want our relationship to go deep. Can you help me with that?" Win's words hung in the air, laden with hope and vulnerability.

A fake smile played on Orm's lips as she struggled to maintain her composure. "What can I do to help you?" she asked, her voice tinged with hesitance and a hint of sadness.

As Win began to recount the moments shared with Lingling in Japan, a bittersweet smile crossed his face, reminiscing about their kisses and dates. "We shared kisses and enjoyed numerous dates during our time in Japan. And since you are close to her, I want you to help me propose to her. Do what you can to make her realize that I am the man meant for her." Win's request hung in the air, heavy with expectation and longing.

Orm's heart ached as she forced herself to hide her pain behind a facade of acceptance. She turned away, her inner turmoil threatening to spill over. The revelation that Lingling had reciprocated Win's affections and had spent intimate moments with him in Japan pierced Orm deeply. Despite her own feelings and insecurities, she knew she had to be selfless in this moment, even if it meant playing a role in facilitating Win's proposal to the woman she secretly longed for.

As the weight of Win's request settled on her shoulders, Orm grappled with conflicting emotions of love, sacrifice, and heartache, knowing that the path ahead would test the limits of her selflessness and resilience.