A LOVE STORY WRITTEN

Some Months Ago

Tension filled the air as Lingling, Orm, and their parents sat together in the living room. The delicate teacups made a gentle sound, highlighting the unspoken feelings lingering among them.

"We've been talking," Orm began, her voice a gentle tremor. "and we both feel it's time to start thinking about a family."

Mr. and Mrs. Kwong, showing a blend of excitement and worry on their faces, nodded in approval. Mrs. Koy with pride shining quietly in their eyes, did the same.

"We've been discussing how we want to make this happen," Orm continued, her gaze fixed on her wife. "I know we've talked about this before, but I really want you to be the one to carry our child."

Lingling's heart skipped a beat. "You want me to be the one to carry our child?" she repeated.

"Yes," she said, her hand reaching across the table to gently touch her hand. "I want to have a child with you, a child who carries a piece of you within them."

Lingling's mind raced. "But... what about you?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper. "Don't you want to carry a child too?"

"Of course, I do," Orm replied. "But I want this first child to be yours. And then, maybe, next time, we can talk about myself carrying a child."

Mr. and Mrs. Kwong exchanged a knowing glance. They understood the unspoken weight of the younger one's request. It wasn't just about having a child; it was about wanting a child born from their daughter.

"We're not trying to pressure you," Mrs. Koy interjected, her voice soft but firm. "This is your decision. We just want you to know that we support whatever you choose."

Mr. Kwong nodded in agreement. "We're here for you both, no matter what."

The conversation ended with a promise of support and a shared understanding that the final decision rested with the couple. But the weight of Orm's request, a heavy burden on her shoulders.

The following weeks were a blur of sleepless nights and whispered conversations. Lingling tried to rationalize her wife's request, to understand the depth of her desire.  She saw the longing in her eyes, the way she cradled her belly, tracing its smooth curve with a wistful smile. But a seed of doubt had taken root, whispering insidious thoughts. Was Orm asking her to bear this child because she was getting older, because time was slipping away?

One evening, as they lay in bed, Lingling finally voiced her fears. "I can't help but feel like you're asking me to do this because I'm getting older," she said, her voice thick with unshed tears. "Like you're trying to make sure you have a child before it's too late."

Orm's eyes widened in surprise. "Hon, that's not it at all," she said, her voice seems hurt. "It's not about age. It's about you. I dream of having a child with you, a child who will share your spirit."

"But why me?" Lingling pressed. "Why not you?"

"Because I want to have a child with you," Orm said, her voice was soft. "I want to experience the miracle of motherhood with you. I want our child to carry a piece of your heart, a piece of your soul."

Lingling's heart ached in a good way. She saw the truth in Orm's eyes, the raw vulnerability of her desire. But a deeper fear gnawed at her. "What if I don't want to do this?" she whispered, "What if I can't?"

Her brow furrowed with concern. "Ling, what's wrong?"

"I'm scared," the older one confessed, her voice cracking. "I'm scared that if I don't give you what you want, you'll leave me."