CAUGHT IN THE ACT

The tension between the two lovers was palpable, even upon their arrival in London. It didn't dissipate even when they reached Orm's mother's house.

The moment she crossed the threshold, her mom's smile bloomed, radiating happiness that seemed to fill the entire room. "Welcome back, my beautiful daughter" exclaimed with arms open wide in a welcoming hug.

Weary from the flight, she leaned into her mom. "I missed you, Mom."

Her mother smiled and kissed her forehead, The middle aged woman's attention now drawn to the figure who had just stepped through the doorway behind her daughter.

She studied the woman's face for a moment, brows furrowed in concentration. Then, a wide smile broke across her face. "Lingling? CEO Lingling Kwong? Is that really you?" Her surprise is evident.

Lingling mirrored the smile of Mrs. Koy, and nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, Auntie, it's me."

Mrs. Koy's arms opened wide, inviting her into a warm embrace. "Honey, it's been far too long. You've become such a beautiful woman."

Lingling blushed, her smile shy and grateful. "Thank you, auntie."

Mrs. Koy, her heart brimming with excitement, was ready to introduce Orm and Lingling to the feast she had prepared. But Orm's voice, weary and low, stopped her in her tracks. "Mom, I'll just rest. I'm so tired."

Her mom watched confusingly as she slowly ascended the stairs to her room.

Mrs. Koy shifted her focus back to the woman before her, offering a hesitant smile. "Maybe she's feeling the effects of jetlag." she remarked, gently touching the arm of the woman who appeared somewhat downcast. "Lingling, you should eat. You must be hungry after your long trip."

"Thank you, Auntie," Lingling said politely, "but I'm still full. I'd rather wait to eat with Nong Orm when she wakes up."

"Oh, alright." Mrs. Koy nodded slowly in understanding. "Then, I'll have the maid prepare the guest room ready for you." She then called for the maid and gave her the instructions.

Lingling's hands clasped together as she nervously cleared her throat. "Auntie, I need to talk to you about something. Could we talk for a minute?"

"Ohh sure darling, Let's sit. "

They settled on the couch. Lingling took several deep breaths, trying to calm her nerves, before she looked at the older woman. "Actually, I came with Nong Orm to ask for your daughter's hand" she said, swallowing nervously.

Mrs. Koy's left eyebrow twitched slightly, betraying her confusion. Lingling, however, could see it clearly. Despite her own trembling legs, she knew she had to continue.

"I came here to formally ask for your daughter's hand in marriage." There she said it.

Mrs. Koy's confusion gave way to an unreadable expression, making Lingling's heart sink. She couldn't bear to look into her eyes any longer and lowered her gaze.

The older woman's voice was quiet, but her eyes held a sharp intensity as she asked, "Do you love my daughter?" She realized she didn't need to ask if the girls were in a relationship. Lingling's request for her daughter's hand made it clear they are dating.

Lingling looked back at her, eyes meeting hers as she nodded sincerely. "I do, ma'am," she said. "I love her with all my heart. That's why I came here to ask for your blessing. I can't wait any longer, I want to spend the rest of my life with her."

Mrs. Koy's eyes softened as she took Lingling's hand. "Who am I to object?" She said. "You have my blessing. Just promise me you'll cherish my daughter. She's the most precious thing in the world to me."