Chapter Fifty-Three | Different

Kyungsoo's POV

The radio played quietly as I waited outside the school for Lily and Jaehyun. I wasn't working in the bakery that day, so I was able to be at the school a few minutes before they were dismissed. I heard the school bell ring and looked toward the door right as the kids came rushing out the doors. I smiled and got out of the car to open the backseat door for them. 

"Hi, appa," Lily said, giving me a little hug before throwing her backpack inside the car and climbing in.

"Hi, appa!" Jaehyun said excitedly, practically jumping into my arms. "I missed you today."

"I missed you, too," I replied, giving him a quick kiss before helping him into his car seat. I made sure they were both buckled in safely before shutting the door and getting back in the driver's seat.

"How was school?" I asked as I put my own seatbelt on.

"It was good," Jaehyun answered first. "We played a game today to see who could count the highest and I won."

"That's awesome," I said in an enthusiastic tone, turning around to give him a high five. "How far did you get?"

"All the way to 30," he said proudly. "Ms. Krystal says that I'm one of the smartest students she's ever had."

"Being able to count doesn't make you smart," Lily commented, rolling her eyes a little. "It just means that you can count and everyone can count."

"Says the girl who called herself a genius when she could finally count to eleven," I said, looking at her from the mirror that hung above the radio. She just grinned and stuck her tongue at me, making me laugh as I turned the key in the ignition, causing the radio to temporarily turn off before coming back on once the car started. "What do you think about stopping to see Uncle Baekhyun on the way home?" I asked them as I placed my hands on the wheel. "You haven't seen your cousins in a long time."

"Yeah, let's go!" Jaehyun exclaimed while Lily just nodded her head.

"Okay then," I said with a small laugh, pulling the car into drive and checking for cars before driving out of the parking lot and onto the road.

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

I decided to just park the car in front of our house and we walked over to Baekhyun's house since it wasn't that far away from ours. I didn't know if he would be working from home that day or not, but I took my chances and went around the back way. When I saw that the kids were playing out in the backyard, I narrowed it down to two conclusions: either Baekhyun locked them out of the house again or he was down in the basement working.

"Uncle Soo!" Jiyoung said, running over to us when she spotted me.

"Hey, Ji," I said, hugging her briefly. "Where's your dad at?"

"Probably downstairs drinking," Jiyoung stated seriously, making me look at her with surprised eyes. "What?" She shrugged nonchalantly. "He does that a lot."

"That's wonderful that you know that," I said in a sarcastic voice, patting her head as I sighed. "Jaehyun, Lily, go play with your cousins while I go find Baekhyun."

"Okay," they said in sync before running off with Jiyoung. I walked down the stone steps that led into the basement and opened the door to find him sitting on the red chair, finishing a large glass of wine.

"What a surprise it is to find you down here," I said as my shoes touched the ground, once again being sarcastic.

"Close the door," he said, jumping up from his seat and pushing the door shut, the action making my eyes widen.