Chapter Sixty-Four | Two Months

Kyungsoo's POV

"I don't know, Baek," I said as I opened the oven door to check on the currently baking cake. I had to pull the center rack out in order to poke a toothpick in the middle of the cake, checking to see if it was done before taking the pan out completely. "It's just not like him to wait this late to call."

"Well, he is kind of on a life-threatening mission right now, so I'd imagine he has a perfectly good explanation as to why he hasn't called yet," he said as I placed the cake on the cooling rack. "Besides, it's not like he just forgot his own son's birthday."

"I would like to think he'd remember Jaehyun's birthday, but he's forgotten plenty of things before," I said, taking off the oven mitts and laying them on top of each other on the counter. 

"D.O, do you hear yourself?" he said to me, putting what he was doing on hold so he could look at me. "This is Kai we're talking about. I'd be more surprised if he did forget Jaehyun's birthday."

I sighed a little, lowering my head before nodding. "You're right," I said. "He's probably going to call later. I'm just stressed out over all this preparing we've been doing plus everything else, that's all."

"Exactly," he said, coming over to me to pat my shoulder briefly. "Just give him a few hours and I'm sure he'll call. Plus, Jaehyun will be having so much fun with his friends that he probably won't even be thinking about that right now."

"Right, you're right," I said, nodding my head. "I just need to calm down and focus on getting this cake decorated before the kids get here."

"That's right. Calm down and cheer up," he said as he finished tying the end of the last balloon so the helium couldn't escape. "It's fun hosting parties every once, so you should act like it. And it's even better because it's all for Jaehyun, the little angel."

I laughed a little at that. "Yeah, he is a sweetheart, isn't he?" I said, looking out the kitchen window in the main house to see him trying to push Lily on the swing.

"I'll say," said Baekhyun, making me tear my eyes away from them. "I wish my kids were more like him."

"They're good kids," I said, pulling the lid off of the icing container.

"Yeah, more like good at being bad kids," he said, earning another laugh from me. "But I just blame Chanyeol for getting me pregnant whenever they act up." I laughed out loud this time in response to Baekhyun's words. "Speaking of the devils, it's way too quiet in here. I better go see what thing they broke this time." I glanced back at him as he was walking out of the kitchen and then turned back around to finish putting the icing and decorations on Jaehyun's birthday cake.

"Appa," the birthday boy himself said as he walked through the opened door. "I'm thirsty."

"I think there are some juice boxes in the fridge," I said, briefly turning around to point. "But you can only have one, alright? You have to save some for your friends."

"Yes, appa," he said in his usual cute tone of voice before walking over to the fridge, having to use all his strength to pull the door open. A few seconds later, I felt him tug at the hem of my shirt, the abrupt feeling causing me to turn around. "Can you put the straw in for me, please?" he asked me with a cheeky smile as he looked up at me. "I can't do it by myself."

"Sure, sweetie," I said, bending down to his height prior to taking the juice box out of his hand. I tapped the straw against my leg a few times to get it out of the plastic wrapper and then handed the wrapper to him, saying, "Can you throw this away for me, please?"

"Okay," he said with a small nod, quickly jogging over to the wastebasket and then coming back by the time I had the straw in.

"There you go," I said, smiling lovingly at him as I handed it to him.