Chapter Seventy | Goodbye

Kyungsoo's POV

Being around Jongin during the last days of Joonmyun's life was like living with depression itself. He spent some time outside of the cabin, going for runs to blow off steam, but other than, he didn't do much. 

It was understandable, though. They seemed to just get each other and anyone could see how special their relationship was. And seeing him so distraught over losing him only confirmed that. Some nights, I'd wake up to the faint sounds coming from outside and get up to see him standing on the balcony, letting out small sniffles and cries. I wished there was something I could have done to comfort him or give him hope. 

But the truth was, I, just like everyone else, knew that there was just no hope left to give.

The opening of the door startled me on that last day we were there, a day or so after he passed. I was sitting on the couch with Tao and Luhan, checking in with Baekhyun and the kids. Jongin came in not long into the call. He didn't even bother saying hi before he headed into the kitchen. Tao gave me the okay to bring the phone over to him after he finished saying goodbye to his kids. 

"The kids are on the phone," I said as I walked up beside him as he was getting a drink of water. "They wanted to say hi. They miss you."

At first, I thought he would say no and that he would call them back later, but he just nodded and took the phone from me as I handed it to him. 

"Daddy!" Jaehyun and Lily exclaimed in unison. His face lit up instantly and that made me smile. 

"Where were you, daddy?" asked Jaehyun. "Appa said you weren't there before. Where did you go?"

"I'm sorry, buddy," Jongin said, gently and briefly rubbing his arm. "Daddy just had to get some fresh air, that's all."

"Why did you have to go fresh air?" he asked next.

"Because he's sad, idiot," Lily said and I could almost feel her rolling her eyes at him.

"Appa, is that true?" Jaehyun said in a surprised voice. "Are you really sad?"

"Of course, he is!" Lily said, cutting off Jongin once again and making him chuckle. "Why do you think he's been moping around? Don't you know what happened to Uncle Joonmyun?"

"But you said he was gonna be okay," Jaehyun whined to his sister.

"Well, I lied," she said. "He's not gonna be okay. He died."

"Hey," Jongin said firmly, finally interjecting. "Don't say things like that."

"What?" she said innocently. "It's true. I heard Uncle Baekhyun talking about it with the elders. He's dead." He glanced at me, a hint of guilt passing over his face.

"Yes, Uncle Joonmyun is dead, but that doesn't mean you should go around talking about death so lightly," he said. "I know this is the first time you're experiencing it, but it hurts to lose someone you love, which is why you have to be careful about how you talk about it, alright? The same goes for you, too, Jaehyun."

"Yes, daddy," they said simultaneously.

"Good," he said with a quick but heavy sigh. "I'm gonna give the phone pack to appa now. We'll be home tomorrow, so I'll see you then. I love you guys."

"Okay, we love you, too," they said. Then, he handed the phone back to me and gave me another glance before grabbing the bottle of water he previously took from the fridge and leaving the kitchen.