Chapter Four | Oh, Yes You Did

Jongin's POV

The house was just as Joonmyun hyung said it was: big, nice, and with no neighbors in sight for miles. It resembled a big log cabin, or in this case, I guess it would be a log mansion. It was surrounded by forest as well as what appeared to be some smaller houses that existed on either side of it.

"Wow," Baekhyun cooed in awe as he looked around. "I gotta hand it to you, Joonmyun. This place is gorgeous."

"Yeah, hyung," Sehun said in agreement, a bright smile occupying his lips. "I love it."

"What are those little shed things around it?" Tao asked, pointing to one that was on the right while trying to keep Chuntao, another one of his kids, still by holding her hand tightly. They were quite big as well, only a few inches off from being as tall as the main house, and looked to be more than one story.

"Oh, those," Joonmyun hyung said as he looked in that direction. "Those are houses I had built for the ones who had already mated. I figured since the other house was crowded that this time you'd probably like some space and privacy. I figured it would also be nice for the kids to not have to share rooms anymore." Tao smiled and glanced down at Chuntao, who was already smiling excitedly. "There are some empty ones for when Baekhyun, Kai, and Sehun mate, but for now, you guys will be staying in the main house with Lay and I."

"You mean if we mate," Baekhyun mumbled under my breath, clearly not trying to cover his words up.

"Hey, don't say such things," Lay said as he appeared beside Baekhyun. "You guys will find your mates, too. It just takes time and patience."

"Yeah, don't let Mr. Downer over here get to you," Sehun said in agreement, obviously referring to me.

"Brat," I said as I smacked him over the head. He rubbed the back of his head and looked at me. "Say anything else and next time it will be with a hammer."

"Okay, that's enough, guys," Joonmyun hyung said to us. "Let's not argue with one another. We have lots of unpacking to do. Once you're all done, you can come up to the main house and we'll all go on a celebratory hunt."

With that, we all parted ways, the couples going off to their houses and Baekhyun, Sehun, and I following Lay and Joonmyun hyung inside the main house.

"Your rooms are upstairs. You can pick who gets what room," he said, pointing at the white-painted staircase to the left and right in front of the kitchen. Sehun was the first to run up the stairs and Baekhyun and I followed after him in a more sluggish manner. 

Sehun went into the first room he saw, immediately claiming it as his. Baekhyun took the next one and that left me with the last door on the right. I walked in and saw how spacious and empty it was. I tried to picture what it would look like when all my stuff was in it, but I just couldn't.

"So, what do you think?" Joonmyun hyung asked me, placing a hand on my shoulder and catching me off guard a bit.

"It's alright, I guess," I said with a shrug of my shoulders, looking around again. He sighed lightly before walking around me to face me.

"I know you are displeased with the move, Kai, and I get that," he started. "But you know better than anyone that I wouldn't have gone through all the trouble to move us here if I wasn't positive that this was what was right." I sighed and rubbed my eyes a little, pinching the bridge of my nose. "You've come a long way since that angry, lone wolf I found in the woods two years ago. I'd hate to see you throw all that progress away over something as stupid as moving."

"I'm not upset about moving, I just don't see why it was necessary," I said. "I was perfectly happy where we were before."

"Well, unfortunately, Fate doesn't always tell us why the things it does are necessary," he replied. "But that doesn't mean we can defy it. Look, just try to make the best of this, alright, and then one day you'll see that this was all part of the plan." He patted my shoulder lightly and then left me alone in the room with only my thoughts to offer me company.