Chapter Sixty-Seven | Never Should Have

Luhan's POV

I couldn't sleep at all that night. The vet said that Sehun would be okay, but that's when the harsh reality of life really started to dawn on me. 

Sehun could have died. 

You'd think because it had been so long since I was turned that I would start to believe in the concept of Fate that seemed to rule my life, but that wasn't the case so much with this. The idea that everything happens when it's supposed to couldn't seem to prevent my brain from thinking like a human. I never thought of what would happen if I ever lost Sehun to death, I just hoped that I would never have to find out. 

But after hearing what the vet had to say, I realized that I needed him more than anyone could understand, more than I could understand.

The next day couldn't have come any slower for me. I got up early, so early that when I walked downstairs into the living area, I found that some of the members were still dormant, some of them curled up while the rest were sprawled out. I started to walk past them in the direction of the room upstairs where Sehun was. 

When carefully and quietly opened the door, the first thing that came into my line of vision was his still, resting body, his eyes closed and visible spots of dried sweat across his hairline. I closed the door and then made my way over to his bedside, pulling up a chair and sitting next to him. My eyes diverted away from his face and to his midsection, which was entirely wrapped in fat sheets of white gauze.

"Sehunnie," I whispered softly, letting my hand slide down his arm and lacing my fingers in between his. "You're such a jerk sometimes, you know that? Making me worry like that..." I directed my eyes to his face and watched as his delicate, thin eyelashes quivered when he exhaled. "But I'm glad you're okay. You're one jerk I couldn't live without."

"Who are you calling a jerk?" My eyes widened for a moment when I heard his voice and a grin slowly curled onto his lips as he turned his face in my direction, opening his eyes later.

"Yah!" I said jokingly with a pout, trying hard not to smile. "All I've done is worry about you and that's the first thing you say to me when you wake up?" He laughed out loud and I couldn't help but smile; this was just one more time I got to hear that wonderful laugh of his and that made me feel relieved.

"Can I have a redo?" he asked once his laughter died out, that smile that I loved so much still painted on his face.

"Fine," I said after I pretended to think.

"Okay," he said, closing his eyes moving his head around a bit. I giggled airily when he repeated the same action from before, this time looking at me and saying, "I missed you. Was that better?"

"Hmm," I hummed, momentarily moving my eyes away as I thought. "It's not as good as I love you, but I'll accept it." He chuckled at my response and squeezed my hand, which was still wrapped around his. "How are you feeling?" I asked after a few seconds of perfect silence ticked by. "Any better than yesterday?"

"Not really," he said, picking up his head so that he could look at the gauze wrapped around him. "I still feel like all the bones in my body are broken, but I guess that's what happens when you break all the bones in your body." I laughed. "How are you?"

"Better now that I know you're safe," I said earnestly, earning another faint smile from him before he lifted my hand up to his lips and kissed it ever so gently. As that moment came to an end, for no particular reason, I started to feel tears building up in my eyes. "I should have never let you leave," I whispered with a lowered head, rubbing the skin of his fingers softly.

"Are you really going to sit here and blame yourself for this?" he said to me in reply, making my eyes move to meet the serious expression on his face. "Because if you are, I'll tell you right now that you're wrong."

"Maybe, but if I would have never let you go, you wouldn't have gotten injured," I reasoned as my eyes got more and more full of tears. "And if I couldn't have stopped you from leaving, I should have gone with you so that I could have protected you. I could have done something, but I didn't."

"So what?" he said, his response getting a baffled look from me. "This, me getting all my bones crushed and Jongup dying, it's all unfortunate, but it was bound to happen. And the sooner you realize that the sooner you will stop blaming yourself for things that aren't your fault. And while I'm at it, you can tell Kai that, too. I don't even want to know what he's thinking right now."

"He apologized to me last night," I said. "I told him it wasn't his fault, but I don't think it helped a lot."

"Well, maybe it will if he hears it from me," he replied, trying to adjust his head on the pillow. I stood for a moment to help him and then sat back down. 

"What happened to Yongguk after?" I asked.

He sighed, closing his eyes for a moment. "The other fought him off enough for him and his pack to run away. They're not finished with us, though. I think what happened to Jongup made him even angrier."

"So, we're not done with them yet?" 

Looking me in the eyes, he shook his head. "Not even close."

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

Jongin's POV

I don't know how many times Sehun told me not to blame myself. I just couldn't help it. All I could think about was how I could go back in time and prevent him from getting hurt and the only answer I came up with was fighting Yongguk alone. 

It didn't help that I also felt partially responsible for Zelo's pain. After everything he had been with Yongguk, he never even got a chance to be with the one person who actually seemed to love him. 

It all felt like my fault.

I decided to go check on Zelo once I was finished talking with Sehun. I didn't have to look very far once I came down the steps, as I saw him sitting on the back porch with his legs hugging his chest. I sighed a little before walking toward him, pulling back the glass door and taking a seat next to him.

"Why would he do that?" he said in an almost silent voice, causing me to turn my head toward him while he kept his facing straight ahead. "Why did he have to be so stupid? I was ready to die. I accepted my fate. Why couldn't he have just let me die?"

"Because he loved you, Zelo," I said, my words making his eyes land on my face. "He told me to tell you right before he died. I guess he never got the chance to tell you in person."

He breathed out shakily, blinking his eyes fast as tears built up in them. "That's what he was trying to tell me when I was down there. All this time, he's been defending me because he loved me and I couldn't see it. And now it's too late."

"Hey, it's not your fault," I said in a sympathetic tone, shifting my body so that it was facing his and closer to his. "You were so convinced that Yongguk actually loved you that you couldn't have possibly guessed that Jongup was the one that really loved you."

"Yeah, but he made it so obvious," he said, shaking his head as he looked at me. "Whenever all the others would talk down to me, he would stand up for me and tell me not to let them get to me. I know it was Fate, but I just wish that I could have at least gotten a chance to love him back."

"I get that," I said, nodding my head in understanding. "If it's any consolation, I'm sorry. I'm sorry it had to come to this."

"You don't have anything to be sorry for," he replied, letting his legs lay flat now. "This is Yongguk's fault. He's the one who has to pay."

"Don't worry about Yongguk," I said, feeling his eyes land on me. "We'll finish him off no matter what it takes." I looked at him before continuing. "I'll make him pay for what he did if it's the last thing I do."

A/N

Just a beforehand warning: the first half of the couple will be dying next chapter. Prepare yourselves. Also, I'll apologize ahead of time if my action scene sucks. I'm not as used to writing scenes like that, but I'll try my best.

Thanks for reading and let me know who you think will be killed off next in the comments below! Until next time, I love you all! <3 *blows kisses*