Chapter Seventy-Four | Fate

Kyungsoo's POV

During the days before he died, everyone made sure to fit in plenty of time to visit with Lay. As expected, Jongin spent the better portion of his days at his bedside, helping Xiumin to make sure that he was comfortable. All the kids were now back at school by that time, but Lay made it a point to see them before he officially left the world.

And eventually, that's exactly what he did.

Lay's funeral wasn't as somber as Joonmyun's was and I actually found the atmosphere to lighter and more joyful. The sun was shining brightly all day long, but the slight blowing of a breeze kept it from getting too hot outside. There were virtually no clouds floating around in the light blue skies.

There wasn't much time set aside for grieving after that since plans for Jongin's alpha ceremony were made almost immediately after. We also decided to move into the main house, so we had a lot to keep us busy. Lily and Jaehyun were ecstatic about the move since it meant that they could each finally have their own bedrooms. They were also excited that they could brag to all of their friends about how their dad was an alpha, which as funny as it was, made Jongin feel more confident in his decision.

I glanced down at the time on my phone as I quickly shuffled up the stairs to our new bedroom, making my hand into a fist before knocking on the door with it. "Jongin?" I called. "Jongin, are you ready yet? Yunho and Jaejoong just got here and everyone's ready to start."

"Yeah, I'm almost ready," he said back, his voice slightly muffled by the thick, wooden door but still audible to me. Curious as to what was taking him so long, I placed my hand on the doorknob and pushed open the door, causing him to look at me once I walked in.

"You're taking longer than Baekhyun does to get ready," I joked as my steps neared him, my comment making him chuckle and shake his head at me. "You're that nervous, huh?"

"Well, let's see," he said, fiddling with the collar of his shirt as he turned to face me. "I'm about to become alpha of an entire pack. Yeah, I think that qualifies me as nervous."

I laughed, rolling my eyes at him. "You could have just said yes, jerk," I said, pretending to pout.

"I could have," he said as he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer, a smirk appearing on his face before he connected our lips.

"You shouldn't be nervous," I said a few seconds after the kiss ended. "Everyone knows you will be great. The pack, the kids, who else am I missing?" He began to grin as I went into a fake thinking state, trying to lighten and untangle the knot of anxiousness in the room.

"You?" he said after awhile.

"Oh, that's right," I said, snapping my fingers together. "Me. I must have saved the best for last."

His head went back as he laughed out loud. "You are getting to be quite a cocky person, aren't you?" he said.

"Am I?" I said, acting nonchalantly. "Huh, I hadn't noticed." He just laughed again, this time shaking his head as the airy chortle escaped. He pulled my body closer to his again and we kissed once more, lightly pecking each other's lips after the main event was over. "Come on," I said softly, taking his hand in mine and intertwining our fingers. "Let's go downstairs. Everyone is waiting."

"Okay," he said, taking a deep breath before following me out of the room and down into the crowd of people.

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

Jongin's POV

"We call upon our ancestors on this evening to bless us as we welcome in a new alpha." The fire crackled from behind us as I listened to Yunho speak, my heartbeat seeming to get faster with every word he spoke.