SAM

SAM

Sam bounced down to the lunchroom, so nervous she almost ran directly into someone in a letterman jacket. He looked down at her and smirked. She blushed and scurried away. She dashed through the lunch line and, with her tray of food, made her way around the room. She stood on her tiptoes to look for her brother or Castiel. There were so many people in the lunchroom, pouring from all the different staircases. She saw a waving hand and turned around to see the some one she didn't know beckoning her over. She pointed to herself and mouthed, "me?" but then someone else ran past her to the guy. She turned away quickly, her face burning.

"Sammy!" She heard a familiar voice boom. Dean's voice. She turned to the sound but didn't see him.

"Sammy! Over here!" Sam looked around again and saw his silver ring glinting from the hospital-like lights. She waved back and started wading through the crowd to him. Dean was standing by a round table with Garth, their adopted brother.

"Garth is gonna sit with us too." Dean said holding only a water bottle and a bag of chips. Sam nodded and sat down, tucking into her school food cheeseburger, it tasted like cardboard, just as she expected. Ellen told her to buy school food at least once, because "it might taste better in high school," but Sam knew better. School food was school food. Cas darted by and ignored them. Sam suddenly felt awkward sitting with Dean and Garth who were having pleasant conversation. Garth was a freshman as well but Sam knew that he was a weird kid who really didn't have many friends so him sitting with his older brother wasn't as odd as seeing Sam with Dean. Sam was actually considering taking her lunch to the library to escape, but then Gabe sat down. She wondered where he had been for the first half of lunch.

"Hey Dean-o, Sam. Who is this?" Gabe asked gesturing to Garth.

"This is Garth, our other brother. He is Sammy's age." Dean explained. Garth raised a skinny hand for a handshake. Gabe's muscular hand enveloped his.

"Howdy there Gabriel." Garth squeaked out as he pumped Gabe's arm up and down. Gabe chucked good naturedly and he whistled impressed, "Dang Garth ya have a firm grip."

Dean sniggered and Garth beamed.

"So Samantha," Gabe started, "How was Pre-Calc? Did I miss anything important?"

"Nah, just a bunch of rules that she wanted us to copy down. Where did you run off to anyway?" Sam asked, her curiosity getting the best of her.

Gabe's eyes darted to Dean for a split second then back to Sam, "No where important. Just out." Gabe lied. Sam decided to call him on it, "So you're a liar that's what I'm getting from this?"

Gabe's face turned slightly pink but vanished almost instantly when he replied, "Well maybe you need to get to know me better before you jump to conclusions."

Sam raised an eyebrow, "Maybe I do, or is that a lie too?" Gabe smiled, "Well you'll have to find out. How about this Saturday? 5 o'clock? I'll pick you up." Wait a second. Was Dean's best friend asking Sam out? The one she had resolved to stay away from?

She grinned, it wasn't wrong if he asked her out right? She gave him a cute look and said, "Fine." And went back to her cardboard food. She snuck a glance at Dean. He had barely raised an eyebrow.