01 - The Decision

"Olivia! Can you come here please?!" My Dad's voice echoed through the house.

"Ugh, what now?" I questioned myself as I shut my lap top and started to walk towards my Dad in the Kitchen. I wondered in to kitchen to see my Mum and Dad sitting at the table. My Mums eyes were set on the table and her stare was harsh, whereas my dad sat with soft, sad eyes as he fiddled nervously with his fingers.

"What's wrong? What's happening?" I rushed to my Dads side resting my hand on her shoulder.

"Sit down Olivia, we have something to talk to you about" My dad said as he grabbed my hand and motioned me to sit on the chair at the end of the table next to both him and Mum. I quickly sat down on the chair eager to find out what was going on.

"Liv, your father and I have made the decision to go our own ways" My mum told me as she glanced up at me and then my dad. My mouth dropped open as my eyes went big.

"Wait. You're splitting up?"

"Yes" My dad spoke softly.

"Why?" I choked out. I could feel a lump in my throat as tears brimmed my eyes.

"Well, we just don't agree on things like we used too" My Mum said as she looked at my dad and then the table.

"Just because you don't agree on things doesn't mean you have to get a divorce!" I yelled as I stood up.

"You wouldn't understand Olivia. You are too young" My mum as she shook her head. I couldn't believe that this was happening. I mean my parents fought a lot, but I never thought it would come to this. I always thought that they would resolve their issues instead of just dropping everything and scurrying away from them.

"This divorce has got nothing to do with you Olivia. We promise" My dad said as he placed his hand on mine. I shook my head as I fell back into my chair. I stared blankly out the window at my backyard. Tears slipped down my cheeks at the thought of my parents no longer being together.

"Well, what's going to happen?" I questioned weakly after a few minutes of silence.

"After everything is finalized, I'm going to move to Sydney and your father is going to stay here." My mum told me.

"It's up to you who stay with. Neither of us will mind who it is you choose" My dad informed me as he placed his hand over mine. I yanked my hand away and stood up quickly.

"Why are you doing this to us?!" I yelled before quickly ran to my room. I shut my door and collapsed on the floor in tears. How could this happen? Why now? Once the tears started to slow I got up from the floor. I got into bed, not even bothering to change and fell asleep.

***

A month later my parents' divorce had being finalized and I was moving to Sydney with my Mum. The main reason I was moving with my Mum is that my Dad was always away with work whereas my mum wasn't so she would be there for me more.

I was bit upset that I was leaving my friends and boyfriend but I couldn't stay in Melbourne. My boyfriend Dylan and I had being together for a year now. We got together when I was in year nine and he was in year ten. So now I am in year ten he is in year 11. He was upset that I was leaving but understood why I was doing it. We decided to stay together though. We could Skype and call each other, plus I would go and visit my friends and dad in Melbourne so we would see each other then.

My bags were all packed with my things. I only packed important things, like clothes, books and some other things that were really special to me. My mum told me that the house we were getting already had furniture in it and it was ready for us to move in. I was looking forward to moving even though at the same time I really wanted to stay, but I knew in my heart I had to go and get out of here. Get a fresh start.

As I was putting some last minute things in to my bag, I heard a knock at my bedroom door.

"Come in" I called. My door creaked open to reveal my dad. He looked upset, but he looked relieved. Like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. I sat on my bed and looked at him.

"Hey Liv" He said. He sat down next to me. I leant my head on his shoulder; oh I am going to miss my dad. "I'm sorry about all this. I didn't want to turn out as a broken family."

"Its okay dad" I lifted my head to see his eyes sparkling with tears. "It's better for it to happen early. Not when you both completely hate each other and can't stand to be in the same room as each other. I'm happy that you made this decision, because it will save this family." I smiled at him as a tear rolled down his cheek. I realised about a week after my parents told me their plans to divorce, that it is probably best for them to divorce. As painful as it is, it will be better for all three of us.

"Olivia, you always know what to say" We sat in silence for a few minutes until it was broken by my dad's deep voice. "Right, well I will put your bags in the car"

"Okay, thank you" Dad kissed the top of my head before leaning down and grabbing my suit case. I finished putting my things in my carryon bag for the plane. I slung my bag over my shoulder and looked around my room. It wasn't bare as it still had things sitting on shelves, but it felt empty.

"You ready sweetie?" My dad poked his head into my room.

"Yeah, I will be down in a moment" I smiled at him and he nodded.

"Okay. Take your time" and with that he left. I finished looking around my room that I was leaving behind. I walked over to my bedside table; looking in side to check that I hadn't left anything important until something shinny caught my eye. I picked it up realising what it was. It was the necklace Dylan gave me for our 6 month anniversary, but we got into a fight once so I threw it in the draw so I didn't have to be reminded of him.

I put the necklace around my neck before walking out of my room. I walked out the front to the car where my parents were making small talk.

"Ah, there you are. I was about to come get you" My mum said as I gave her a hug. "You ready?"

"Ready as I will ever be." I sighed. "Are you coming to the airport?" I looked towards my dad.

"I'm dropping you off, but I can't stay. I have to go in to work. Sorry Hun."

"Its okay" We hoped into the car. I was sitting in the back seat and we had a 20 minute drive to the airport, so I put my head phones in and listened to some music.

"Be safe okay. I don't want you getting hurt. Take care of your selves, okay?" My dad said as he sat in the car.

"Okay, love you dad" I said and waved.

"Love you too Olivia" My dad said just before he drove off. He had helped my Mum and I get our suit cases out but sadly his work got in the way again.

My mum and I hauled our suit cases to check in. We then went through security and finally made it to where we were boarding the plane. We sat down in the chairs waiting for our flight to be called. 10 minutes later our flight was called. We boarded the plane, put our seat belts on and waited to take off to our new lives.

© xKelsey5SOSx