First Day of Battle

"Starlight," murmured the Professor,

I blinked open my eyes and nearly tumbled backwards. "I'm awake. I'm awake," I grumbled as I forced myself to my paws and shook out.

"Are we really fighting," asked Riverpaw as she turned to Nightpaw and Stonepaw.

I nodded sadly. "I'm afraid so." I couldn't believe what I had dragged them into. They didn't deserve to almost killed for something that I was compassionate. Humans killed their pack and family, I couldn't expect them to fight for this cause.

"That's okay," assured Stonepaw. "Maybe we could prove that we're ready for our full wolf names."

I forced a rumble and licked his ear. "Don't worry. I promise that when you're ready I'll give you your full wolf name," I assured as I nudged his haunch.

"Now that's cute," taunted that black wolf that was beginning to make my fur spike. "Now tell the pup that it's time to die."

I worked my claws against the ground. "Never. I will protect ever last pup and human here," I growl as I felt protection rise in my heart.

The black wolf let out a howl and a whole pack of Claw Wolves (and Claw Pups) emerging behind him. His eyes gleamed and he let out a howl. "Claw Wolves, attack!"

He bounded forward and the rest of his patrol followed. I snarled and leaped for the black wolf. I sunk my claws into his shoulder and thrust him into the ground. He was on me in a heartbeat and he streaked his claws against my ear. It healed quickly but that doesn't mean it didn't initially hurt.

The other pups were having a much harder time.

"Stonepaw," wailed Riverpaw as a paw was thrust over her neck. She was being strangled rapidly.

Stonepaw let out a snarl and borrowed under the ground, with his spikes extended to their full length. He came up under the stomach of the wolf holding Riverpaw down. He went limp as blood oozed from the holes that Stonepaw's spikes made. He fell against the earth and Stonepaw willed his spikes in.

"Are you alright?"

Riverpaw nodded and Stonepaw nudged her to her paws. They surged forward, fear prickling from every hair on their pelt. They weren't used to this kind of battle, especially without their mentors.

"I'm scared Stonepaw," Riverpaw confessed.

Suddenly a wolf leaped on Stonepaw's back. He pressed the pup's face into the ground and Stonepaw could barely breath.

Riverpaw let out a gasp and spread her wings (she was a Wolvy) and flew to the top of the X-men's holding cell. "Hold one, Stonepaw," she assured. "I have an idea."