Making Friends with the Enemy

A snarl sounded and Lingeringpaw spiraled around. She bared her teeth and let out a growl. The wolf that had snarled with her stepped out and Lingeringpaw realized that he was about the same age if not younger than she was.

She just tilted her head with her eyes puzzled. "You are a Claw Wolf?"

The wolf let out a growl but he still wasn't intimidating. "Yes I'm a Claw Wolf! I'm Deadpaw."

"Deadpaw," Lingerinpaw echoed as she tilted her head. "Why are you called Deadpaw?"

Deadpaw's eyes hardened. "I'm called Deadpaw because all of the Claw Wolves have fierce names," he explained as he puffed out his fur in pride.

Lingeringpaw took a step forward. "I'm Lingeringpaw."

"Lingeringpaw," Deadpaw echoed as his eyes brightened. "That's a very mysterious and dangerous name."

"Thanks." Lingeringpaw blinked her eyes. "Have you ever thought of er maybe changing loyalties?"

Deadpaw's jaw gaped open. "But I'm a Claw Wolf-"

"If Triflud has his way then you will all be killed," Lingeringpaw interrupted. "Here we are a family and we don't leave each other. You could join us, if you wanted."

Deadpaw thought for a moment but before he could decide a howl sounded from Triflud. Deadpaw turned around but not before shooting a glance at Lingeringpaw.

"Just think about it," she whispered before he bounded away.

She turned back to her group and realized that Runningpaw was bleeding tragically. His eyes were flickering back and forth.

"Who's the friend," asked Riverpaw as she pressed against Lingeringpaw with Nightpaw and Stonepaw following.

Lingeringpaw shrugged. "No one. Just a wolf," she barked casually. She shuffled her paws and her eyes gleamed a bit as she thought of Deadpaw.

Stonepaw rolled his eyes. "I know that look. I think you like him," he taunted.

Lingeringpaw threw her nose in front of Stonepaw. "Shut your muzzle!"

"Lingeringpaw," I howled as she turned. Everyone was staring at her now and her head was ducked into her shoulders. "Is there a problem."

She shook her head. "Noting. It's just nothing."