Inconsiderate Wolves

Deadspirit peeked his head around the corner and saw Lingeringbadger pressed against the side of the mutant's holding cell. Her eyes were bright with impatience and once she saw Deadspirit she brightened a bit.

"Thruster told me that you wanted to see me," Deadspirit murmured as he touched his nose to Lingeringbadger's ear affectionately.

"I do," she barked.

"Am I in trouble?"

"No."

"Does it at least involve me?"

Lingeringbadger rolled her eyes. "Oh you bet it does," she taunted as she leaned forward and nuzzled his cheek with her muzzle. "This has everything to do you."

Deadspirit's eyes flickered. He didn't want to upset her or make her life any less uncomfortable. Lingeringbadger was his mate and he only wanted the best for her.

"So what do you want to tell me," he pressed as he rested his head against her shoulder and touched his nose to her neck.

She looked into his eyes and smiled. "I'm expecting pups."

"Mine?"

Lingeringbadger cuffed his ear. "Yes yours! Who's else would they be?"

Deadspirit took a step back and flicked his ringing ears. "Er of course they are mine." He could barely contain his excitement. His eyes brightened as his tail swished. "I'm going to be a father!"

"Yes you are," assured Lingeringbadger as she licked his cheek. "Your going to be a father and I'm going to be a mother."

"I'm so pleased," he yipped as he turned his attention to her stomach which was just beginning to swell. "We are going to have the best pups in the universe!"

"Calm down," she chided as she saw me look up and twitch my ears. I was gnawing at my herbs and I had pretended to be consumed in Thruster's story of street life but I was secretly using my super senses zone on on their conversation. "We don't want the whole pack rushing to us."

"Do you think they'll be angry," Deadspirit threatened.

For the record I was furious. I mean who has pups in a place like this. No food, no water, no grass. Battle everyday, are you kidding me. I wouldn't have pups here if someone forced me to. I can't believe that Lingeringbadger and Deadspirit had been so fish-brained. I just wanted to cuff their ears split their muzzles. (Splitting a muzzle is a common term when you force the mouth open and bite the upper or lower jaw.)

"Of course not," Deadspirit murmured in her ear. "Because if they are they'll have to take it up with me. I will protect them with my life."

Lingeringbadger relaxed a bit and nuzzled her head into Deadspirit's thick chest fur. "What if Triflud comes after the pups," she fretted. "Would he kill them?"

Deadspirit flexed his claws. "I wouldn't allow it. I promise you, I will fight to my last breath to keep them safe."