Loyalties are Tested

The sun had risen (at least I think that it did. Hard to tell in an inclosed room!) and the battle was getting ready to start. I hadn't needed battle claws because my claws were sharp and long. They were bone but a very strong form of bone.

The rest of the pack had suited up in the exceptional gear that Twistedfate and Silvermoon had mate them. They were ready to fight!

Triflud appeared with his dwindling size of a pack. He strode forward but not at attack speed. His claws were sheathed and his fangs not exposed as usual. I tucked my claws back in and tilted my head at him.

"I would like to speak to you pack, Starlight," he murmured.

I narrowed my eyes to slits. "And why would that be? Are you trying to change their loyalties," I snapped as I lowered into a defensive crouch.

Triflud smiled and swung his head toward Stonestep. "I believe that one of your members has already made that easier than it needs to be."

"Stonestep," I asked as my eyes widened in shock. "You-You're turning traitor!"

Stonestep lowered his head into his shoulders and he looked smaller than he already was. Riversong who was standing beside him leaped away with her tabby brown tail lashing in rage.

He let out a sigh and just began to stalk toward Triflud.

"Wait," called Riversong as she bolted to his side and looked into his blurry eyes. "What about me? What about our pups?!"

"Pups," Nightsecret echoed as she turned to look at Riversong. Although everyone was skin and bones she had accumulated a bit of a stomach to her. It lolled as walked and Thruster was always trying to find her more than just herbs to eat like the rest of us.

Riversong nodded as her eyes filled with tears. "I am expecting your pups, Stonestep. You can't just leave me to raise them by myself."

"You won't be by yourself," he argued calmly as he swung his head around. "You have everyone here to love them and to take are of them better than I ever could."

"That's not what I meant and you know it!" Her voice was beginning to turn to a shrill cry and her body began to shake. "You are their father and they need you. I need you."

Stonestep turned around and picked at the ground with his claws. "You'd be better off without me Riversong."

Riversong shoved her nose into her mate's cheek. "No they aren't. That's just want you have manipulated yourself into thinking. Please don't leave me," she begged.

Stonestep licked her cheek. "I love you Riversong. I always will." He stretched out a paw and touched her underbelly. "I will love our pups too although I don't know them."

"I love you too Stonestep," Riversong barked although I could tell it was forced. "I love who you are but not what you have done."

Triflud let out a howl and Stonestep bounded toward him. They left out the same way that they came in. I guess not battle for today.

I turned to see Riversong standing stiff in shock. Nightsecret and Runningbreeze bounded to her side and nuzzled her gently. "Come on dear," urged Nightsecret as she spread her wings and guided her forward. "Let's get you some herbs from Thruster. I think that you need some."

I turned to the mutants with my ears plastered against my head. "What have I dragged them into?"

Tony pushed his way through Mystique and Magneto. "That is the problem with leadership. Sometimes it can cost you much more than it's worth."