Reviewing our Losses

I lay panting on my side. Exhaustion was making my eyes droop and I couldn't barely breath right now. I tried not act like I was as awful inside as I was outside.

Logan lowered beside me and stroked the fur along my spine. His fingers became crimson with blood and I let out a sigh. "Sorry. I guess I didn't groom myself that well."

"It's fine," he assured as he turned and nudged my crystal as if began to gleam. "So I'm guessing that I'm your companion?" Like he even needed to ask.

"Of course you are," I assured as I licked the blood from his hand. "Like it would take a crystal to tell me that."

He smiled and I noticed how well all of the mutants looked. We looked like wolf-scat and the mutants looked better now than they did before they had been captured. They got meals and slept fine. We weren't that lucky. We ate herbs, berries, and the occasional insect. Silvermoon had never had meat before she died!

Mirage bounded over toward Poultice who was play wrestling with Thruster. Ever since he had let his other side become his normal side he looked more like a wolf instead of a dog. He was now about my side with beautiful orange and white flaming fur. His bright green eyes shone and he was certainly light on his paws. He knew every battle move and every herb. Talk about talented!

Nightsecret was the only one of the beginning pack. Riversong had been killed and Runningbreeze had died from his injuries.

"I'm expecting pups," she had announced dryly.

"Who's," I asked although everyone knew the answer.

"Runningbreeze," she replied as she rubbed a paw against her underbelly. "They are due in claw rotation but I have no idea what that is because we can't even see the moon!"

She did have a point and I couldn't do anything but agree. I forced myself upward and turned to Thruster. "What about Twistedfate. How is he?"

"Twisted as ever. He is alive but he seems to be in a fog. If he lives I'm afraid it won't be the Twistedfate that we knew," he confessed as he rested his head on his paws. "This battle should never have happened."