Moose Ambush

I slashed a claw against a Claw Wolf's muzzle. He turned his head and allowed a growl to rise in his throat.

"Take him down, Starlight," Logan cheered me on.

I lifted my head to snap at him but the Claw Wolf snapped a paw against my jaw. I fell with a thud and I shook my head to clear it. He was on me in a heartbeat. I threw him sideways and pressed my paw against his neck. I was about to deliver that fatal blow but suddenly I felt the ground begin to shake.

"Do you feel that," I asked the group.

Rouge nodded. "What is it?"

The wolf that I had pinned let out a laugh. "They are coming."

"Who's coming," asked Logan as he let out a growl. "Tell us!"

Nightpaw had heard Logan's snarl (although who could miss it) and flapped her wings. She flew high above us and her eyes widened in shock. "Great-"

"Moose," finished Deadpaw as he bolted forward with Lingeringpaw at his side.

I let out a yelp and leaped off of the wolf I was holding. He snaked toward the side with an evil grin on his face. The rest of the Claw Wolves were at the side and snapping at the moose to try and draw them toward us.

I flapped my wings and so did most of the Wolvys. I landed on the holding container with Skypaw, and Nightpaw at my side. I saw Stonepaw bury under the ground with Riverpaw following with her ears pricking in fear. Runningpaw sped up toward me and perched in front of Skypaw.

"Lingeringpaw," wailed Skypaw as her gaze fixed on her friend.

Lingeringpaw and Deadpaw were running as fast as they could. Moose were engulfing them and there was no where for them to go.

"We have to help them," Skypaw begged. Before I could argue she leaped upward and slammed her paws against the wall. I helped and tried to loosen some rocks so they'd fall and allow a small place for the pups to hide behind.

I used my long claws and finally felt it give way. I leaped back but Runningpaw and Skypaw were too late. They tumbled down, in the thick of the moose.

I saw Lingeringpaw and Deadpaw rush into the rocks, their fur bristling in terror.

Runningpaw and Skypaw were a few paces ahead of the rocks. Runningpaw murmured something that I couldn't catch. He used his super speed and darted forward. He ducked behind the rocks and turned back to Skypaw.

Skypaw rose to her paws to leap for the rocks but a moose leaped onto her body, crushing it with it's massive hooves. "Skypaw," Runningpaw wailed as he surged forward and tried to protect her. The moose started to hit Runningpaw's head and he began to feel faint.

Lingeringpaw reared on her hind legs and snarled at the moose, to try and scare them away. Deadpaw did the same but he was still stiff with shock.

Once the moose thundered away Runningpaw lifted off of Skypaw. "Skypaw," he whispered as he touched his wet nose to Skypaw's cheek.

Skypaw didn't even look like a pup anymore. She was so crushed that I couldn't tell where he limps were supposed to go in which direction.

I leaped down with the rest of the apprentices following. "Skypaw," cried Riverpaw as she peeked her head from the the ditch.

"She's dead Runningpaw," I told him, my harshness still prevalent in my voice. I wished I could have been gentler but I just couldn't manage that.

Runningpaw lifted his head and curled his lip before swinging his head toward Deadpaw. "This is all your fault!" His hackles rose and I was afraid he would leap on the Claw Wolf.

Deadpaw flicked his ears but to my relief Lingeringpaw stepped in between. "Leave him be Runningpaw," she threatened as her eyes flashed.

"That Claw Wolf will never be one of us," Runningpaw spat.

Deadpaw lowered his head and shuffled his paws. "He is my friend and he is one of us," Lingeringpaw argued as she turned to me, pleading for me to help.

I certainly didn't want to be in the middle of this. "He killed Skypaw!"

"No he didn't," Lingeringpaw snapped as her tail lashed.

Runningpaw rolled his eyes and stormed away.

"I'm sorry," Deadpaw murmured as he hung his head. "I didn't mean for this to happen."

"It's not your fault," assured Lingeringpaw as she touched her nose to Deadpaw's ear. "Runningpaw is just being difficult."

I lowered my head into my shoulders and closed my eyes. This was going worse than I thought it would.