Heartbreaking Conclusions

"How is he," I asked Thruster as he strode toward where all of us were huddled. I was at Logan's side (the cage was open) with his claws constantly pricking at the ground.

Thruster sighed heavily and landed beside me. I touched my nose to his ear, urging me to tell me what was happening with Twistedfate.

"He is very weak and grief struck. Losing Silvermoon really took it's tole. If he does live I can't promise that he will ever walk again," he confessed.

I could sense the Professor stiffen. He knew how hard it was to be without function of legs. Especially for a wolf that was like a death sentence. If you couldn't walk then you couldn't hunt. If you couldn't hung then you couldn't eat and if you didn't eat than you would die.

"I have also found out some awful new," Thruster cut in.

"What," squeaked Miragepup who looked smaller than he had at birth. His brother was pressed against him and they shivered madly against each other.

"Twistedfate told me that Silvermoon was expecting pups."

"No," wailed Nightsecret as she closed her eyes and pressed against Runningbreeze. "That must have broke Twistedfate's heart."

"It is," Thrusted replied. "That is making his heart even more wrenched than before. He knows that he lost his mate, chance to be a father, and his ability to walk. If I were him I would be praying to die as well.

"Well he can't die," yelped Riversong as she looked at her pups and then to me. "We are losing so many of our pack, our friends. We can't hold out much longer."

"We need to end this," Runningbreeze agreed.

"Yes," I agreed. "Yes but how?"

No one answered my questions. Everyone wanted to end it but we had no idea how. We needed to get out of here, with the mutants. So far we had tried almost everything that we could possibly think of but nothing had worked.

"What about our crystals," suggested Poulticepup as he rubbed his dark green crystal with his paw. "You said that they have powers. We just don't know what kind."

I nodded and turned to my pale one, the only crystal without any color. I couldn't figure out why we had them or what they actually did for us.

"We need to figure it out," cut in Miragepup as he gazed at his purple crystal that glowed when light touched it.

"We will," assured his mother as she began to groom each of her pups in turn. "I promise you that."

I shook my head. Never promise anything that you could not guarantee.