My Trust is not Won Easily

"Starlight."

Dagger's mew sounded in my ear. I lifted my head and shook it to clear it. It had been a difficult day and the last thing I wanted was to be up all night. However for Dagger I didn't mind.

"I'm awake Dagger," I mumbled before stretching out. "I knew that you'd wake me up again."

Dagger purred and his eyes shone. "I suppose I have. Are you worried?"

I hung my head and swayed from right paw to left paw. "Of course I am. However which problem are you suggesting that I'm worried about?"

Dagger tilted his head as he leaped onto my back and rubbed his chin along my neck. "Your losing wolves fast and the ones that you have aren't exactly the best."

I let out a growl and threw Dagger forward. He almost fell off my head but he sunk his claws into my head and hauled himself to his paws. "They aren't wolves yet. They are just pups!"

His eyes hardened as he hissed. "They are almost full wolves Starlight," he pointed out as he swung his head toward Deadpaw who was sleeping next to Lingeringpaw. "Soon they will be mate and have pups of their own."

"No here," I begged. "Who would want to raise pups here? There's no food, no water, and the nutrients we do get are leaves or herbs from Thruster. Who would bring a pup into this?"

Dagger shrugged. "It's your species," he pointed out as he hopped forward and landed a bit lopsided. He turned to face me. "You never said wolves were sane."

I nodded in agreement. "So what can I do? I hated bringing them into this battle that they didn't deserve to be in."

Dagger let out a comforting meow and licked my cheek. "They are doing exactly what they were meant to do. They are your family now Starlight, just like the humans."

"Maybe but are they family with the humans. They don't even know them," I pointed out. Since humans had killed their pack she wouldn't expect them to want to protect them.

"You have to trust them," Dagger murmured.

I snorted. "I don't trust that many people," she grumbled into her chest fur. She only trusted Logan, Dagger, and the Professor. Other than that she didn't trust. She just found it easier not to.

Dagger reared on his hind legs so he was eye level with me, even though he had to stretch. "They trust you," he meowed. "Why can't you trust them?"

I opened my mouth to answer but I didn't know what to say. "Perhaps your right." I didn't say that often so Dagger should have been excited.

"I know I am," he purred as he touched his nose to mine before lowering down on his own four paws. "Now just try it, okay."

"Okay," I sighed before padding back to my nest and lowering into a ball. I yawned and swiped my paw across my ears in a quick grooming.

"Don't worry," assured Dagger as he leaped onto my back and curled into his own ball. "You are doing great and everybody knows it."