Figruring out the Crystals and Pups

"Stand still," hissed Riversong as she stroked her tongue along Poulticepup's flank. "I can't even give you a proper grooming with you fidgeting like a piece of prey."

Poulticepup finally succumb to his fate and stopped thrashing. "I bet other pups don't have to go through this," he snapped as his mouth rasped her tongue over his ears.

"That's because their mothers don't love them as much I do love you two," she gushed which just made both pups roll their eyes.

Suddenly a hum sounded and the cage opened. I rushed to Logan and I noticed Thruster inching his way toward the professor. His crystal seemed to gleam and mine was to. I took a step back from Logan and it faded. I hopped toward him and it seemed to blaze.

These crystals paired us with our companion!

I leaped onto the top of the holding cell (since the roof was still intact) and howled although everyone else appeared to already be gathered.

"Today we are gathered here for the important ceremony of naming two new training wolves but first I have realized what our crystals mean," I howled.

"Why," gasped Riversong as she reared on her hind legs and pawed at the sky.

"They tell us who our companion is, or the mutant that we are tied to for life. Every wolf has one it's just a matter of it you will find that person," I told them in a surprisingly harsh tone.

"How can you tell," asked Runningbreeze as he lifted a paw and played with his crystal. "When they glow," I answer I as pointed toward Thruster as he sat at the Professor's side. "Just like Thruster's."

"So the Professor is my companion," murmured Thruster happily as he turned to Xavier.

Xavier smiled and stroked Thruster's ear. Thruster wagged his tail and acted as pleased as can be.

I turned to the rest of the ground. "Anyway this day is for Poulticepup and Miragepup. From this heartbeat on you shall be known as-"

"Wait," interrupted Miragepup as he lifted a paw. I narrowed my eyes but allowed him to speak. "I don't want to have pup after my name. I just want to be Mirage."

"No," Riversong growled at him. "You are a full wolf."

"You don't need a name for that," Thruster pointed out as he turned to me. "Starlight and I don't have the names you do. Do you suggest that we are not full wolves?" There was a hing of growl behind his bark.

Riversong shook her head. "Of course not. It's just that I want my paws to follow in my pawsteps."

"But that isn't what we want," Poulticepup cut in. "I just want o be known as Poultice, not Poulticepup or paw."

"Very well," I murmured since I didn't want to argue with Riversong. This was her pup's life, not hers.

"From this heartbeat on you shall be known as Mirage. Your mentor will be Runningbreeze. May you pass on your swiftness and loyalty to Mirage."

Runningbreeze frowned at his student but Mirage didn't seem to mind. His fur was puffed out and his eyes gleamed.

"From this heartbeat on you shall be known as Poultice. Your mentor will be Thruster. May you pass on your skill and compassion to Poultice."

Poultice bounded toward his teacher who looked proud as any father. He touched his nose to Poultice and then ruffled the fur between his ears, a common father and son move.

Riversong didn't start the chant and to my surprise the Professor did.

"Mirage!"

"Poultice!"

"Mirage!"

"Poultice!"

We howled their names to the stars and to the wolves that had died so that they could live.