A Game of Moss ball

"Come on Silverpaw," urged Twistedpaw as he licked her ear. "Let's play!"

"I don't want to," she growled stubbornly as she shoved her nose under her paw.

"Please," he begged as he pushed on her flank. "The mutants are out and they said that they'd play moss ball. We don't want to be outnumbered."

Moss ball was Silverpaw's favorite game and she knew it. She let out a sigh and rose to her paws. "Alright."

(Moss Ball is a game like soccer to you HUMANS. You can use all four of your paws but no tails. It's normally played by apprentices but what the heck! I like to have fun despite what you may believe.)

"Yes!" Twistedpaw nearly did a flip as he bolted to the entrance of the den with Silverpaw trailing. "She's playing! She's playing!" He was so excited he fell into the professor's wheel chair. He shook his head to clear it and the Jean nudged him toward me.

Silverpup bounded to his side and barreled into Twistedpaw.

"Okay now that we are all here we can separate into teams," I barked as I swung my head toward everyone. "Do we want to do captains?"

Twistedpaw and Silverpaw nodded as they bounded up and down. "Okay. Twistedpaw and Runningbreeze as captains."

The two males took their place and since Twistedpaw was the youngest he went first. "Silverpaw." No surprise there.

"Starlight." I bounded toward Runningbreeze. He had chose wisely in my opinion since I could play anywhere.

Twistedpaw looked about. "Nightsecret."

"Riversong."

"Stonestep."

"You have to pick a human now," I whispered in Runningbreeze's ear.

"Logan," he decided. Logan bounded over and stroked me between the ears. "Riversong looked glad to have Logan on their team.

Twistedpaw gulped and his eyes flickered. "Tony." Tony left Magneto's side and bounded toward Twistedpaw, Silverpaw, Nightsecret and Stonestep.

"Who should I pick next," asked Runningbreeze nervously. I was more of a captain than he was.

"Mystique." Now those words didn't fit into my mouth without a fight. I had never thought of picking her but I knew that she was a nice choice. She could chance into a wolf so that she'd have the advantage of four paws instead of two feet and no use of the hands.

"Scott."

"Magneto." (You are probably wondering why I was picking all of the evil mutants and I don't know why. Maybe I have a secret evil side!)

"Jean."

"Rouge."

"Storm."

"What about the professor," asked Logan as he lowered beside me.

No one had picked him because they knew that he wouldn't be great at playing because he couldn't use his feet. Rolling around would just crush the ball.

"Could you be the score keeper," asked Silverpaw before I could ask.

He nodded and leaned down to stroke her between the ears. "I think that's the best spot for me in this game." He rolled toward the middle of the felid. "I can also be the ref."

"What about you Thruster," I asked him as he sat a bit alone.

He smiled. "I'll be a ref two. I'm not great with my paws."

I nodded and turned to my team. We had to set up. This was going to be the Moss Ball game of the century.