Pups don't belong in Battle

A few days later and the batter was still going strong. We got a break every night but that wasn't enough. On top of that there wasn't any prey. The humans were fed but we were not. That made tempers very short, especially for me.

It was the third day and we were beginning to become out numbered. No matter how many wolves we killed he kept finding more Claw Wolves.

It was so bad that I was fighting three wolves alone. That was way too many for a pup to be fighting against and there was nothing I could do.

I heard a weak gasp and turned to see a wolf towering over Badgerpaw. I rushed over to him and snarled at the wolf and pushed him away. "Get away from him mange-pelt! He's had enough."

The wolf stalked away and I saw Badgerpaw's black and white pelt sticky with blood. I grasped his scruff and he didn't even stir. I set him down in the corner of the holding cell and the wall. I turned to walk away but Badgerpaw stirred.

"Starlight, is that you?"

I halted and turned around, my head dropping. "Y-Yes, it's me," I stammer as I bound toward him. His neck was slitted open and blood was oozing out.

"I'm sorry that I failed you," he barked as his eyes began to flutter.

"You did not fail," I growled. "You were superb and I couldn't be more proud of you." My throat was beginning to close. I didn't know what else to say to him.

"Do you think that I'll get my full wolf title in Starbound," he asked hopefully and although the light was vanishing from his eyes the thought of getting his full wolf name seemed to encourage him.

"Of course," I assured. "They know how hard you worked. You deserve it."

"I want to be named Badgerclaw," he explained. "After you."

My eyes began to fill with tears. "Badgerclaw's a great name. I'm honored to have someone name themselves after me."

His breath was becoming shallower and it was an effort just to breath. His eyes suddenly rolled up in his head.

I took a step back and let out a deep sigh.

"No!"

"Lingeringpaw," I began but she wasn't listening to me. She rushed to her brother's side and shoved her nose into his bloody neck. "Please don't leave me!"

"He's gone Lingeringpaw," I confessed as she turned her grief filled eyes to me. "He's not coming back.

"No. No,' he cried as she pushed her paws to his neck to try and stop the bleeding.

"I'm so sorry," Storm murmured, as if not knowing what to say.

The fur along my spine bristled. "Pups don't belong it battle!"

"You brought this against yourself," growled the black wolf who's name was Triflud. (It means oozing blood in Wolf Latin) "I told you not to fight the pups."

I turned to him with such anger stirring in my stomach that made a roar come from me. I rushed forward and bared my teeth at him. "Leave me alone!"

Triflud turned to his pack. "Let's leave them," he murmured as he rushed toward the exit of the den.

Riverpaw turned to me once she realized what had happened to Badgerpaw. "What do we do know," asked Riverpaw as she turned to me with round eyes.

My throat closed and the pain I felt just bubbled out. "I don't know! I just don't know." I suddenly bolted forward with the pain still gnawing at my stomach.