Miracles can be Sharp

I felt a prodding at my flank. I really didn't want to get up but I wasn't fish-brained to ignore when someone needed me. I thought it was one of the pups but when I lifted my head I saw Dagger standing in front of me.

"What are you doing here," I asked as I blinked my eyes to try and focus.

"Shh," he hissed as he narrowed his eyes against the darkness and strode toward the entrance of the den. "Follow me but be careful. People are laying everywhere." He sniffed and pushed his way out of the entrance.

I rose to my paws and carefully navigated past Logan, Scott, and Magneto. I was almost out when I nudged Tony's flank. He stirred and was about to raise his head when I nudged him.

"What are you doing," he mumbled and it looked as if I had awoken him in a very deep sleep.

"I following someone," I replied, not in the mood to argue with him.

Tony narrowed his eyes and rested his head back on his paws.

"Look," I snapped, careful to awake anyone else. "I just need to go and this is very important to me. Just don't tell anyone and I'll be back soon. Also don't you dare touch any of those pups."

I pushed myself outside and saw Dagger a few paces away, his tail lashing. "Come on," he urged as he lashed his tail.

I bounded to his side and a branch thrust itself into my face. I let out a growl and snapped it easily in my claws. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to save those pups' lives," Dagger explained as he leaped through the bracken with his fur plastered against his body. He came back with herbs clamped in his jaws. I sniffed them but realized that I had never seen them before. He thrust the herbs in front me and I wrinkled my nose.

He then brought back berries, roots, and even some grass. He grabbed a rounded log and placed the ingredients into it. He began to mash it with his paws. It became a sticky green looking paste and I thought it looked disgusting. "Is this the cure for blood-cough," I asked I watched Dagger knead at the wood.

He nodded. "Yes. Once you die they tell you. However don't try to replicate it. I know that Thruster will try but you can't replicate this unless you are dead. We aren't aloud to tell you either."

"I don't care," I told him quickly. "As long as you can cure them."

I nodded and scooped up the wood with the continents slugging around. We strode back toward my den and once I finally pushed in I stepped over everyone before halting at the pups side. They hadn't moved and they seemed to be sleeping in a pool of their own blood.

I lowered beside them and set down the wood gently. I spread my wings and nudged Poultice first. He looked the worst although none of them looked great. He stirred and groaned in pain as his eyes flashed.

"It's just me," I whispered as I took my paw and scooped up a clump of paste. "You need to eat this."

He opened his mouth and I shoved the pulp into his jaws. He tried to swallow but he just couldn't. I began to massage his throat and it sounded like he was choking but really I was forcing him to swallow. Eventually he did and he let out a cough before sulking back down against the ground.

"Good pup," I praised before waking up Keen. He turned to me in fear and began to growl before lapsing in a hacking fit. "It's alright. It's just me. Try to get your breath back."

He swallowed back the blood and I urged some of the paste toward him. He sniffed it but he was training to be a healer so he knew that he would have to eat things that he didn't like. He lowered down and lapped up some of the paste. Some of his blood dripped into the paste but I knew that Mirage wouldn't care.

Once he was finished and swallowed he curled beside Poultice. "Is that going to cure me," he asked before sneezing.

"I hope so," I assured as I picked up Mirage by the scruff and set him beside the paste. He wouldn't even open his mouth. I opened his mouth for him and pushed the rest of the paste into his mouth. He gagged as I pushed the paste down his throat. It finally fell down his throat and I took my paws out.

He curled back around his friends and I let out a sigh of relief.

"You did a good thing," Dagger assured me as he threw the container out of the den. He told me that he didn't want anyone to know how to make the paste since it was against his rules. "I'm proud of you."

"Thank you for healing them," I murmured as I licked his cheek.

"Of course. It's the least I can do." He began to disappear and I let out a sigh. I felt alone once more but I shook my head to clear it. It was no time for thoughts like that. I curled up against Thruster and fell asleep.