A Promise is a Promise

Deadspirit had his head rested on his paws with a long scratch down chest. Thruster was trying to tend to it but he just shook him off. "I'm fine! Tend to Silverpup."

Thruster tilted his head. "Silverpup is fine. It's you I'm worried about. You don't put your all into fighting or into life anymore. You haven't even seen her yet."

Deadspirit twitched his tail and Thruster sighed and stormed away. He would act like a father to Silverpup if her father wouldn't.

"I can't take it any longer," snapped Stonestep.

I swung my head around from my position next to Logan (the container had been set down again) and saw him thundering closer. "Stonestep," I hissed through gritted teeth.

He flicked his tail in dismissal and narrowed his eyes at Deadspirit. "I'm tired of you acting as though Silverpup doesn't exist!"

Deadspirit lifted his head and licked his chomps to show Stonestep his teeth. (This was a wolf's way of telling another wolf to back off.) "She is my daughter."

"Then start acting like it!" Stonestep let his fur begin to bristle along his spine. "You haven't visited her yet. She probably doesn't even know that she has a father."

"Nightsecret and Thruster are doing fine," he growled as he lashed his tail.

"But they aren't her real parents. She probably thinks that she's lost two parents instead of one," Stonestep pointed out as he swung his head toward me, asking for backup. I shook my head, this was a battle that I was going to fight.

Deadspirit just snorted and rested his head back on his paws. "She's better off without me."

Stonestep turned his back to Deadspirit. "You should have never had pups. You and Lingeringbadger were so fish-brained!"

Deadspirit let out a snarl and leaped onto Stonestep's back. He scratched at Stonestep's muzzle and tried to thrust him into the ground. "Don't you ever talk about my mate like that!"

Jean raised her hand to stop them but I rested a paw gingerly on her arm and lowered it. "Sometimes this is the only way for them to learn," I sighed.

Logan tilted his head at me as if he didn't agree. I shrugged. This was a normal way for wolves to sort out problems and although it wasn't the best way to sort out things it was one of the only ways that we knew how.

"You pretend not to exist and one day you will regret it," spat Stonestep as he shoved Deadspirit's face into the ground until he fought for breath.

Deadspirit pushed upward and Stonestep fell harshly on his back with his legs flailing.

"You are leaving her alone. Where is your courage Deadspirit!?"

Deadspirit jolted back and scrambled his paws against the ground. "How can I love her when everyone I have affection for end up dying?"

Stonestep's eyes turned gentle in understanding. He limped toward Deadspirit. "I'm still here and so is Riversong, Nightsecret, Runningbreeze, Thruster, and Starlight."

"But for how long," Deadspirit choked. "I don't want to love a pup just to have her die."

Stonestep tilted her head. "Isn't that a chance that you take? She is your daughter and she need you."

"I'm just a coward!"

"No you aren't," I argued as I finally stepped in. "You are the bravest wolf I know. You need to get to know your daughter or you will regret it."

Suddenly a wail sounded. "Nightsecret! The big wolves are fighting!"

Stonestep blinked his eyes at Deadspirit. "Now is your chance."

Deadspirit forced himself to his aching paws and tumbled forward. He caught sight of his daughter for the first time. She was silver with black marking, the exact black markings as Lingeringbadger. Her eyes were dark river blue. She had wings as well, just like her mother.

Deadspirit took a step toward her and caught her scent. She even smelled of Lingeringbadger. She let out a cry and ducked back in fear.

"We were just er practicing," he assured as he lowered down and touched his nose to Silverpup's head. "We weren't hurting each other."

"Promise," asked Silverpup, her voice high pitched and shrill.

It made Deadspirit chuckle. He couldn't believe that he had almost missed out on this. His heart expanded with affection for her. "I do. I am your father and I always keep my promises."