Chapter Eighteen- The Ex and the Oh

I waited in front of the bubble tea shop, smoothing out the purple blouse that hugged my chest. The jeans had small rips at the knees and the black flats on my toes seemed comfortable on my feet. I made sure the small purple clip was in place, pushing away my curls.

Was I seriously having a date with my ex?

No, stop it Sarang. He's just an old friend now. This isn't a date.

But why would I go through the trouble of wearing his favorite color, purple? Why was I so nervous? It's been years, and I was positive I liked Baekhyun.

I stood in front of the shop, gripping onto my purse and messing with a few things in there. Wallet, scissors, phone, mirror... and that seemed to be it. Why am I nervous?

Jitters were flowing through me, and butterflies were in my stomach. I really regretted how I last talked to Lay.

I shuddered, remembering the memory.

~2 Years Earlier~

The fifteen-year-old me ran through the airport, screaming at the top of her lungs, "Lay! Lay~!"

She felt her legs giving out under her, buckling from all of the exercise. Those skinny twig-like legs were already wearing out.

Not now, she thought. I'm almost there. 

She pushed on, panting out. "Lay!" she heaved once more, fuming. She saw the head of a boy turn, the delicate features of the handsome fifteen-year-old turning to meet her. "Sarang?" he gasped in surprise.

She stopped in front of him, hands on her knees. "You... You can't just... You can't just l-leave me!" she panted. 

He stared at her, hands on her shoulders. "How long have you been running, Sarang? It's not good for you to push yourself like this."

"Y-You're worth it," she heaved, looking up to meet his eyes. "You can't be so forgetful that you think I'd let you go without so much as a goodbye!"

He wore a guilty expression, "Sarang... You know I've got to go."

"Are you so sure? Why can't you stay here, with me? We can afford a place for you to stay, and they have good medical schools here. I just... I don't want you to leave me... I love you Lay, what'd you expect? For me to just lean back as you moved off to China to find some other girl of your dreams? To just wait forever for you to turn up, only to find a wedding invitation on my front door? Tell me, what did you expect?"

"Sarang, you know I love you too, but I've got to go. I have more opportunities there. I can help people! I can become a doctor!" His bittersweet smile flashed his dimples, it broke the girl's heart.

"What about me?" she asked. "You'll be off saving dying people... Meanwhile, your girlfriend will be slowly dying here, in Korea. You're just... abandoning me so easily?"

"Sarang, please understand. We both knew this would happen eventually. Me, becoming a doctor and being Chinese, eventually I'd have to go back. And you. You're an heir. We both know you'll have to be engaged, or become absorbed with your work. There's no way it would really work. Try to be mature."

"If mature means putting your job before the person you love then I pass!" she whimpered. "So what if I'm an heir? You're really giving up that easily?"

"Sarang, I'm not giving up... We can still text. Maybe I'll even visit when I'm not busy," Lay smiled optimistically.

"Bullshit! I know how it is. Calls every night, texts every hour, late night video chats. Then the calls become few... The texts become short... and I'll have to look at your face on my screensaver to just remember what you look like. You'll forget me," Sarang whispered.