Chapter Forty-Two- The One Left Behind

I waited for Krystal at the roof of the school. The wind blew in my face and I curled my sweater tighter around my body, burying myself in my coat as the cold wind blew past me. I sent her a text and told her to meet me here by 7:30. Though it was still early, she agreed.

She opened the doors, smiling as her brown hair weaved with the breeze. She grumbled slightly, walking over to me.

"What's so important that you had me wake up so early to meet you?" she grumbled. She glanced down at the necklace that Baekhyun gave me, "Nice necklace by the way."

I put my gloved hand on her shoulder, giving a weak smile. "I know about Kai."

Her red face paled, and she let out a quiet, "Oh."

We headed down and sat on the stairs, quiet and in peaceful silence.

"How'd you find out?" she asked timidly, glancing at me.

"He was in the dance room doodling, and I guess I scared him by turning on the lights that he accidentally tossed the journal in the air and it hit me in the face. And of course, I saw the doodles," I smiled softly.

She nodded, staring at the ground. I wrapped my arm around her, giving her a comforting hug to warm her up more.

"Krystal-shi, I think what you did was very selfless. It... explains a lot. You had a lot of courage, and you must've really liked him. I'd bet it hurt you a lot to take on the challenge," I said, rubbing her arm.

She had tears in her eyes, yet she still smiled, giving a weak laugh. "I really loved him, y'know? He was that guy I truly did care about, yet knew nothing of. I just wanted to see him happy, that was all I wanted. When he needed a fake girlfriend, I knew it would hurt, but I took on the task. Anything to protect him, to keep him happy."

I nodded, listening quietly.

"I didn't know how much it would hurt, though. Tears nearly escaped my eyes when we announced the fake news. Hundreds of times I imagined how it would go when he asked me to be his girlfriend, but it all went down the drain. I cried myself to sleep a lot, knowing he could never be mine."

She closed her eyes, trying to keep them from leaking out salty tears.

"I hated D.O, believe it or not. He stole him from me, that's what I tried to believe. I avoided him the best I could, and you brought him to our group. I found out he was more than just a new kid and took a mutual liking to him. But beneath there was a burning sensation that reminded me of what I knew I couldn't have. Eventually, I let it go. After all, I needed to accept the fact. Besides, he didn't know of the internal pain I was going through. The struggle."

She wiped her eyes in precaution, going over the memories as she opened up.

"And you came, and you found out. I knew most things couldn't get by you, though there were a few things that slipped past. I started getting defensive of your sceptical stature, trying to convince myself more than you that me and Kai were a couple. I was so upset with the situation I partially lashed out at you, mianhae."

I laughed, "It's understandable."

"I was also jealous. You and Kai seemed a lot closer, in a more bonded way than I thought back at the time. I was angry that you got close to him, and I didn't. I was also angry because I kept convincing myself you'd be able to do what I was doing, that you'd do it yourself. That's just the kind of thing you do, right? You take our burdens on your back, and I learned more of that once we were at court."

I thought back to that faithful day when Baekyun confessed he liked me.

"Kai sat next to me, and he went up. I learned of the horrible things his appa did, and I was just brain-buzzed by the time I heard it all. I was so shocked, especially since Kai never showed any sign of it. I was just in utter shock that he kept such a big burden to himself, never giving any signal to what was going on. And then you went in, and I felt my brain explode."