Chapter 2 •Angie•

•Angie•

New York City.

They say it's the city of dreams. What I've seen so far, it should be called the city of trash, but it's my home so what can I say? I'm homeless and only get a few bucks every now and then. I had just started high school here and the kids there are rude.

I clutched my cheap messenger bag at my side. Being pushed at every angle, I rolled my eyes. I was suddenly slammed against the locker. I frantically looked around, fearing who it was. Darren, the school bully, stepped out of the crowd in front of me, putting both his hands beside me. He looked me straight in my eyes and smirked. I looked down at the floor.

"Hey freak, what are you doing in my hallway. You know you don't belong here" I sucked in a breath and took a chance.

"You know what I was doing in your hallway?" I stood up straight, shoving him off me.

He scowled at me "what?" he spat his word like they could hurt me.

"Your mom" I shot back at him, smirking. 

He pulled his arm up before trying to punch me but the blow never landed. Things seemed to go in slow motion. I saw the impact on his face and how he flew backwards as I brought my fist up and with all my anger, fear, and sadness, I punched him. He stayed in the air until he slammed into the lockers and fell to the ground motionless. He lay on the ground, as blood dripped from his head. His chest had stopped rising and falling. He wasn't breathing. He was dead.

I couldn't believe what I had just done. I gasped as I brought my hands up to my face, completely forgetting about all the pain. Tears formed in my eyes as I picked up my feet and ran out of the school. Car zoomed past me and I earned a few car horns. 

When I finally sat down at the mouth of an alley I started rummaging through my bag. I found a piece of paper I hadn't pulled out in years.

____________________________ 

Dear Angie, 

If you are reading this letter, I have passed away. I am truly sorry that I could not stay but you were told to open this on your 16th birthday. I am assuming today is your big sixteen? You're so grown. I have some big news for you. As you may know, you were born with wings. That is not only what you were born with. You have the power of strength and healing. All you need to do is concentrate and you can achieve anything. I love you so much Angie.

Love, 

Mom 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't beleive the letter when I had first opened it oh so many years ago but after what had just happened I could not deny the possibility of it being the truth.

I put my hand to my upper left arm where Darren left a bruise from knocking me into the lockers.

concentrate

concentrate

concentrate

I told myself and opened my eyes to see there was no bruise.