Chapter 4 •Fawn•

•Fawn• 

I have lived in an orphanage home in Venice, Italy my whole life. Until now I had thought that I would live out the rest of my days in Venice but I decided to move to New York because I couldn't live with the guilt. I guess I should say why I feel guilty in the first place. 

So, like I said, I lived in an orphanage home before, so that means I lived with a whole bunch of other kids and people who took care of me and the others. One day I was helping the grown ups in the kitchen make food for the others. Then I saw the fire. That beautiful orange and red fire. I wanted to make its beauty grow more and all of a sudden a big flame started. To me it didn't feel horrible. I even touched it. I didn't burn, it felt good. But one of the grown-ups grabbed me and pulled me out of there. They also grabbed all the other kids and led them out of the orphanage. But sadly they were wrong. They had forgotten about two infants that were still in the orphanage, they burned to death.

I didn't think it was my fault at first but then I realized that I could control fire and with that came the doubt that I was the one who made the orphanage burn down. I found out that I could touch fire without getting burned and can make fires bigger and smaller .

I still feel guilty. I tried telling the staff it was my fault but they wouldn't listen, they said it was an accident and I did nothing. They gave me a pat on the back and a warm smile as they tried to hold back their tears. God.... I killed two orphans and got a pat on the back.

Ever since I can remember I have been a loner. I've never really made friends with the other orphans, besides one person whom I rather not talk about. I have to help myself through rough times. I have to tell myself that it will all be okay. I am my own friend right now and I assume forever no one will ever love me, not after what I did. I can't be friends with anybody. 

Thats why I decided to move to New York. I think I should get a fresh start. I started by packing up all my things and saying goodbye to all the little orphans and the people who took care of me.

"I'll miss you guys." Tears start rolling down my face. Even though I feel guilty I still will miss this place, I do have some good memories here.

"We'll miss you too baby. If you need help in any way you can come back any time and we'll all help and cook you a big meal!" The kind elderly ladies said to me she hugged me tightly and hugged back. I feel a slight tug on my hand I look down and see one of the tiny orphan boys pulling at my hand with a sad sad face.

"Are you ever gonna come back?" His eyes start to water.

I smiled at the cuteness of this little boy, "Of course I will silly!" I put both my hands on his face.

"Pinky promise?" He holds out his pinky finger.

"Pinky promise." I pinky promise the young orphan as he smiles in glee and runs to his of the orphan friends. "Okay I have to leave now or the plane leave me."

I grabbed my two suitcases and my backpack as I relived the past hour. I went out the door and walked to the taxi that was waiting to drop me off at the airport. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you a tourist?" The taxi man says with a New York accent. I was tired from the 8 hour flight that I had just gotten off so I let out a big yawn before answering his question.

"No not really. I'm gonna live here." I say with confidence.

"Is that an Italian accent I hear?" He questions.

"Si! yes." I answer nicely but conversation feel weird too me. Haven't had one in a while.

"Well my moms from Italy but I never learned Italian."

"Oh. Maybe you should learn and go to Italy some day. Like Venice or something." I see a smile creep onto his face.

"Yeah maybe I should. Well here's your stop. That will be $18.45."

"Ok." I unbuckle my seatbelt and reach over into my back pocket before pulling out my small wallet. I had earlier stocked it up with money I earned working with the Italian black market. I handed him the money and said thank you. 

I  climbed up the side of the hotel up to the 4th floor and crawl onto the balcony. I peered in only to see a luggage open on the bed. I snuck back onto the balcony and continued climbing till I was on the 9th floor. This time when I looked through the curtains I was happy to see that the room was empty. It was 2:30 in the morning and I was well tired. As my head finally touched the pillow I finally give myself my well deserved sleep.