Chapter 65: A Spark of Hope

(Third Person's P.O.V.) 

While our three dearest friends were still lost on a lonely island somewhere in the middle of nowhere, life has begun to become normal for the rest of SHIELD again.

The director's niece, their best mechanic and Sir Midgard's-most-wanted [and Mister Universe] have disappeared all of the sudden, no one knew where they could be.
As they tried to track the crashed jet, they received no signal or whatsoever, for Nerdie had played so much TETRIS on the board computer that the battery hung itself soon. 

Clint and Natasha were too busy to keep looking, they accepted the death of their three acquaintances. Their baby Katniss was too much to handle anyway, for the approximately one-year-old was a... well, something you'd call a special case. 

She was incredibly smart for her age, and more than only equally destructive and lethal. The daughter of two master assassins. 

Bruce meanwhile never gave up. He couldn't bare with losing his lab partner, he had lost already too many people in his life. 

"Dr. Banner... "

"Oh, uh - Good evening, Director Fury." 

"Evening? Dr. Banner, it's two o'clock in the morning."  The head master raised an eyebrow and sat down on the table Bruce was working on. 

He was a mess, his eyes were puffy and tired, he had bags under them. The doctor hadn't showered for days, he was feeding on a bit of JunkFood now and then. 

"I'm so sorry, Sir. I swear I will finish your project as soon as I - "

"I have not come her to ensure the construction of my new lying detector. I am coming to look after you. Rogers told me you don't feel well." 

"S-Steve, I told him... "  His voice faded away, he fell asleep momentarily. Fury snapped his leathery fingers next to his ear interrupting his microsleep.

"You need rest, Banner. You have done all you can, we have to accept that they're dead." 

"No, no - I don't know what Steve has told you, Sir... But I'm not sick, I won't stop until I find a way to track them." 

The director shook his head. One should not become emotionally too attached to someone, they'd all die in the end. At least that's what Nick thought.

"Stark wouldn't want you to damage yourself in that way. Aren't you afraid the Other Guy might break out and wreck this ship?"

"It's not because of that. Tony was one of my dearest friends, but I'm not only doing it for the sake of our friendship...." 

"And for what do you do this madness, then?" 

"I owe him. Tony has showed me things I couldn't see, he has understood me. He didn't label me was the enormous green rage monster - "

"Yes, he did." 

"But he did it out of understanding. Empathy. He knows how it's like to be different from all the other mortals, and he made me feel less.... alien."  Banner looked down. 

Director Fury sighed and took the sheets of paper away from Bruce. He had scribbled countless words, formulas and equations across them.

"The pen, the pen... God, where is my pen?!" 

[lol don't Hulk out] 

"Dr. Banner..."

"Yes?"

"It's behind your ear." 

"Oh... Please, excuse my behaviour. I'm not the same at 2:15 in the morning."  

"Bruce. Listen to me."  Fury pierced him with his eyes - his one eye. "Why don't you try to read in-between the lines? I am not an astrophysicist, but I think that you already have the answer written on these sheets. You just don't see it yet." 

"How can that be?" 

"Well, you've been working for days without sleep, you've been listening to the Spongebob main theme for the past three hours and you've just drunken distilled water. You need to rest, then you might find what you're looking for."

"But -  But what if I sleep, and then forget everything?"

"You won't, believe me. I know you have the answer right there."  

He pointed at Banner's chest. [so wow] [much feels]

"In my heart?"

"Somewhere in your arteries. Now go to sleep before you blow up my only lab."

"But Director Fury - "

"That's an order."  Nick cut him off with a stern look and went off. 

Bruce felt obliged to obey, but for the sake of Tony, he slept on his chair. The SHIELD bedrooms were unsuitable for thinking. They were too dark. 

Crossing his arms over his chest, Banner gave in and closed his eyes, finally succumbing to the deep slumber that overcame him. It happened quickly, it took his brain only a few minutes to completely shut down. 

Yet, there was no peaceful sleep. 

After a short period of not dreaming at all, the doctor began to see things. His dream took him back in time to the wreckage of NYC during Loki's attack. 

He wasn't himself, more like some kind of spectator. Bruce was seeing himself fighting together with the rest of the Avengers. Loki was high up the tower, the tower that was nearly collapsing. It wasn't surprising, for the whole city of New York was more than just a mess. 

Loki looked like a monster, he was wearing a sick smile and his armor/suit/clothing that makes fangirls go crazy was ripped open, totally shredded and bloodstained [that attactive little shit]. 
But his [breath-taking] clothes were not the only thing that caught Banner's [and fangirl's] attention.

No, the colour of his eyes [drools] was so distracting.

It was a special shade of blue, utterly unusual [and not matching Loki's glorious self and fabulous attire at all] yet mesmerizing. You couldn't really tear off your eyes of his, they had something hypnotic about them. The way they were glowing, throwing shadows at Loki's sickly pale face that was bathed in sweat, that was so... strange. 

And then it dawned on Bruce. [finally]

He had the answer, he had it hidden in his head somewhere within his dreams.

The answer was in his hands and the chance of bringing back his friends [and his nemesis] was there.

The scepter was the key, and he knew this key was somewhere in SHIELD's weapons vault.

[A/N:]

[Hey]

This was not supposed to be funny, but some of you gave me some tips and suggestions for this story and I think that it's time to end this island shizz. 

And no, Bruce will not take the scepter and conjure them back with magic.

Guesses are always appreciated :)

Please vote and comment,

[Woman_Of_Mischief]