Chapter 73: Big Businesses

(Third Person's P.O.V.)

They knew he had to go back.

After all that happened, after confessions, separation and reunions, after kisses and punches, Loki had to eventually go back into his cell. Back to SHIELD. The glassy walls, pardon, the one glassy wall that stretched all round him and trapped him inside an impenetrable prison, was his eternal home.

He had nowhere else to go. Alas, not even the constant supervision through his guard and wife Nerdellia Hildegard Assman could keep his ingenious mind occupied. It was always the same, so repetitive, primitive - Something was missing! 

His surroundings demanded too little from Loki's mind, and the effect was severe. 

"Odin, no... NO!"  A sudden cry of agony ended the silence that Nerdie's quick walk to the toilet had left behind. Silence that was lethal, tormenting and driving him insane just like his wife's presence.

This particular wife came almost crashing through the wall into the small room. A shred of toilet paper stuck to her black SHIELD boot and another one protruded from out of her pants. She had heard her labile husband's anguished scream and came to his help.

No business, not even the 'big business' she could've been doing in the toilet, was urgent enough to leave Loki in a death vision. 

Not even big businesses like those of a certain adoptive brother of Loki's. No, not even those huge businesses. No amount of poop.

Anyway, to stop the fecal humor and return to the actual happening, Nerdie dashed into the room (again forgetting that there was a glassy prison separating her from Loki... as always).

"Loki, Loki!"  She pounded on the wall with her fists. "Lollipop, wake up! It's only a memory! This isn't real!" 

True, it was only a memory. But Loki's mind had become sick. Not in a psycho way (although yes, it also did in a psycho way, but that's beside the point). To fill the emptiness of billions of ingenious and unused brain cells, Loki's mind resorted to relive old memories. Any memories. Like they were real.

"No, no... no. Father, NO! Don't leave me!" 

"Loki!" 

He awoke with a start. Panting, sweating, looking around in shock. His mind was sick, tainted. 

"Ssh, it's okay. I'm here."   She couldn't go in anymore, this was the closest she could get to him. "I'm here." 

"Good gracious Lord..."  Loki sighed and held his head. It was torture. "I am truly sorry for interrupting your... doings."  

His gaze stuck to the toilet paper curling over her thigh. She let out a half-hearted laugh, but remained serious for once.

"Sorry? It's not your fault, darling. I feel you. I know how it is to be insane."

"I'm not insane."  He hissed irritatedly. "I am fine." 

"Doesn't look like fine."  

"Well, what do you want me to do, then? Do back-flips and sing at the top of my lungs because I am imprisoned for eternity, seeing everyday the same, never anything else? Count the minutes between your trips to the lavatory? Is that how a happy man looks?"   He snapped at her.

She had hurt him, and she knew that. Loki didn't want to be labelled insane by the only person on Earth he loved. Everyone else didn't matter, but she did. Of course he'd never tell her.

"I really wish I could help you, Loki - "

"You cannot. There is nothing with me. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY MIND!"