Chapter XX

Joel's POV

We've been walking for a while now, kind of feels like days.

"Now there we go..." I point out and look down a railing on the street. "Yeah, it'll be faster to go through here." I climb over it and jump down and I hear Ellie jump down after me. I walk.

"Man..." Ellie says.

"What?" I respond.

"Nothing. It's just, I've never seen anything like this, that's all."

"You mean the woods?"

"Yeah. Never walked through the woods." We continue to walk along a path. "It's kinda cool." I keep walking and I see a bird fly away.

"Why don't you just take me back to Marlene?" Questions Ellie

"If she was up to the task, why'd she drop you off on us?" I answer.

"Well, maybe she's better now." We keep walking.

"Kid, I don't mean to upset you, but your friends chances of survival weren't too high to begin with."

"She's a lot tougher than you think." I continue walking.

"It don't matter. 'Cause I doubt I could get either one of us back into the city in one piece. Trust me. I wish there was some other option." I walk up a hill and I see a fence, I walk to it and pull on it. Locked.

"Well shit."

"Should we climb it?"

"No, wire on top of it. We gotta find a way to go around." I walk around and I see a building.

"Whoa, look." I turn to her. "Fireflies. I mean real Fireflies."

"Yeah, I see that."

"Sorry, I... I lost myself for a sec." I hop onto a crate then onto a building.

"Let me get up here, and I'll get a look." I stand on the building and see a melee weapon. I pick it up. A pipe with scissors taped to the end. "Yeah..." I get back down from the building and find a plank of wood. I place it on the side of the building then I hop back on the crate and on the building and place the plank across a gap.

"Here we go." I walk across the plank and wait for Ellie on top of another small building. I look and see smoke. "Is that you, Bill?"

"Where do you usually meet him?"

"Huh? Different places."

"You've never been here have you?"

"I know this is where he lives, but...no. I ain't never been here, personally."

"And that smoke, you think that's him?"

"Sure as hell better be."

"Well, let's go check it out then."

I hop down from some cement and hear Clickers. I walk to a door and open it then go through.

"Through here." I walk up some stairs and loot some things. Ellie makes some weird noise and I think it's a zombie but it's just Ellie. She scared the shit outta me.

"Are you alright?" I ask,

"I'm trying to learn how to whistle."

"You don't know how to whistle?"

"Well does it sound like I know how to whistle?" She attempts to whistle again but doesn't. I walk back into a hallway and open another door that leads outside. I jump down and see another fence and try and open it,