Chapter LI

Ellie's POV

We walk into the building where the buck is and I look out the window, just making sure.

"You handled yourself pretty nice back there." He sits down by the fire. "Ha, whew, I'd say we make a pretty good team." He pokes at the fire.

"Psshh. We got lucky." I answer and sit down across from him.

"Lucky? No, no... No such thing as luck." I warm my hands up by the fire. "No, you see I believe everything happens for a reason."

I laugh softly. "Sure."

"I do. And I can prove it to you." He looks down at the fire. "Now, this winter has been especially cruel. A few weeks back, I ah..." He itches his nose. "Sent a group of men out -" he looks at me then back at the fire. "Nearby town to look for food. Only a few came back. They say that the others had been ah, slaughtered by a crazy man." A small smile appears on his face and he laughs softly. "And get this, he's - a crazy man traveling with a little girl." He points the stick at me. "You see? Everything happens for a reason." I stand up, back up and point the rifle at him. "Now don't get upset. It's not your fault." I keep pointing it at him. "You're just a kid." I start to circle around him. "James, lower the gun." I turn around and face where David is looking and James is there pointing his gun at me. I point the rifle at him.

"No way, David." James says still pointing the gun at me. "I'm not gonna let her go."

"Lower... the gun." James does.

"Now give her the medicine." David tells James and James throws the medicine at me.

"The others won't be happy about this." James complains.

"Yeah, well, that's not your concern." I bend down and pick up the pouch of medicine then stand up with the gun still pointed at James.

"Move the fuck out of the way." I threaten and James does and I start to back out of the door.

"You won't survive for long out there. I can protect you." David offers.

I shake my head. "No thanks." And I walk out the door.

I run away from the abandoned place we were at and I keep running and get to Callus. I unhook him.

"Let's get outta here." I say and I lift onto him. I turn us around and shake the reins. "Come on." And Callus gallops.

We get to the neighborhood I'm keeping Joel at. I mount off of callus and take hold of the reins. "Come on." I start to walk to the house.

I shut the garage door and I lean against Callus.

"Okay..." I whisper and I walk down some stairs to where I'm keeping Joel. I look at him and it doesn't seem like he's moving. "Joel?" I ask and he lets out a shaky breath. "Oh..." I bend down next to him. "I only managed to get a little bit of food." I reach into my backpack and take out the medicine. "But... I did get this." I show him. I pull down the blanket he's in so I have access to his stomach. "Move your arm." I pull up his shirt a little so I can see his stomach. "Oh...." I take the syringe and put it into the medicine and take it out. I look at the syringe. "Here we go." I slowly stick the needle into Joel's stomach and he let's out a quiet noise of pain. I release the liquid from the syringe into his stomach and pull it out. "All done." I put away the medicine. "That's it." I pull down his shirt and then pull up the blanket. I lay next to him with my head on my backpack and I out my hand on his forehead. "You're gonna make it." He turns his head a little and I lie down and put my hand on him, and I close my eyes.

Joel's breathing makes me jump a little and I wake up. It's light outside. I hear talking outside and I sit up. I stand up and I hop onto a washing machine and I look out the little window and there's three guys in the street.

"Oh, fuck. They tracked me." I whisper and jump down from the washing machine. I bend down and look at Joel. "I'm gonna draw them away from here. I'll come back for you." I grab my backpack and I walk up the stairs.

I let down the garage but I stop it before it hits the ground. Easy... I set it down quietly. I hop onto Callus and look around. "Go..." I whisper and Callus starts walking. We go behind houses and I hear guys having a conversation;

"Are we even sure she's here?" One guy asks.

"Man, there were horse tracks down the fucking street. She's here." We kept going and I guy jumps onto the horse.

"Hey, I got her!" He shouts. I struggle when he grabs me and I reach into my pocket and take out my switchblade, and stab him in the neck.

"What're you waiting for? Shoot her!" A guy says.

"But David said-"

"Fuck David! Shoot her now!"

"Go!" I scream and Callus starts going forward. I keep going and a guy jumps onto the side of Callus and I kick him off, a bunch of them shoot at me and we keep going. There a lot of the guys and we keep going forward and go down a hill. We keep going forward and we get to some rocks.

"Shoot the horse! Shoot the fucking horse!" I hear someone shout. No don't shoot the horse. We keep running and someone shoots Callus and I fly off of him and roll down a hill. I stand up and look at Callus who's dead. "Oh, no. No. Oh, shit!" I say and run to him.

"Right there! By the horse!" A guy shouts and I shoot him with my rifle. Thanks David.

A/N

Chapter 51! I'm gonna take a break from updating because my phone is like overheating and I don't think that's good. I'll try and update later but if I don't I possible will tomorrow.

Vote

Comment

Read

And maybe follow?

xoxo