Chapter X

You Know Me Better Than I Know Myself

October 2014

Jacob

I laid in bed with Madelyn on my chest, sound asleep. As I rested my arm behind my head. She slept peacefully as I ran my fingers through her thick curls. I couldn't help but take in her beauty...though she looked exactly like her mom. She's now a month old and is the most happiest baby I've ever seen. She's jolly and smart..barely cries. I'm taking her to go see Charlie tomorrow morning. I'm nervous as hell though. I hope she doesn't pull anything.

"Is she still sleeping?" Alisa asked, walking into the room. I nodded, gently rubbing Madelyn's back. She sat on the edge of the bed smiling weakly.

"This is so cute." She squealed lowly. I smiled, looking back down at Madelyn. She began squirming a little as her eyes opened.

Her soft cries filled the room as I picked her up.

"Afternoon Beautiful." I greeted, lifting her up in the air. She nibbled on her tiny hands, kicking her feet as the crying began to die down. I smiled at her, kissing her cheek. I pulled myself up from the bed and headed out of the room. I made it to the kitchen, grabbing a bottle out of the rack. I handed Madelyn to Alisa before making the milk. I warmed it up a little then tested it on my hand.

"Wow. You really have this parenting thing down pack." Said Alisa as she fed Madelyn. I watched her chugged down the milk at the speed of lightening, scaring me half to death. She began to spit up the milk and Alisa took the bottle out of her mouth as she began to cough up a storm.

"Whoa slow down baby girl." I panicked as Alisa patted her back. She chuckled at me before speaking.

"It's okay babe. She's just hungry. Babies tend to get ahead of themselves." She explained as she placed the bottle back into Madelyn's mouth. I sighed, calming my self down. I watched her chug that milk down again. Soon, she grew tired as she slowed down.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay, going alone with her?" Alisa asked me. I nodded.

"Yeah. I'll be fine." I answered.

Treyvon

I watched the disappointment in my mother's eyes. It killed me inside because this wasn't how I was raised. She didn't raise me nor my brother to act this way. Since our dad was never around, she did everything she could to keep us on the right path. Why could I have been so stupid and selfish? I took someone's life and now I'm paying the price for it. Two years and it's only been a month.

"Have you talked to your brother?" She asked me.

"No. I don't think he wants anything to do with me." I said truthfully. She sighed, leaning back in the chair.

"Mama I know that I messed up & I have issues. But I've learned my lesson and I'm going to get help...I swear." I told her. She remained quiet.

"May you tell Chres that I want him to come see me next week...Please?" I begged her. She sighed and replied.

"Alright." She answered.

"Thank you." I said. She stood up, grabbing her bag.

"I have to go. Get yourself together Treyvon. I don't want to see you fall completely apart. You and your brother get it together. He's your only brother and life is too short to be this way towards each other." She explained.

"I know. I'm going to get myself together." I told her. She gave me a weak smile, nodding.

"I love you." She said, kissing my cheek. I stood to my feet, pulling her into a hug.