Chapter XVI

All I Ever Need

April 2015

9:45 A.M. That Morning

Maria

"Thank you." I said politely with a smile as I grabbed my order. I stepped off of the step from the shop, walking along the sidewalk. I sipped on the Caramel Frappe I ordered, enjoying the scenery. Everyone was out walking, either on their way to work or just out and about. Cars drove by, sending some wind my way. The sun wasn't really out because it was still early. I bumped into someone, dropping my Frappe. I moaned in frustration, not taking my eyes off of it. It spilled, going through the cracks of the sidewalk.

"I'm sorry." He said as I picked up the now empty cup and top.

"It's fine." I sighed, throwing it away.

"Maria?" He called. I picked my head up, seeing Orlando standing in front of me. I stammered onto my words, not knowing what to say. He stared at me, waiting for me to speak...but I couldn't.

"I-I've been trying to get in touch with you for the longest. You just disappeared on me and I had no way of getting in touch of you." He said in a sad tone.

"I'm sorry, but I-"

"I miss you." He said, stepping closer to me.

"I have to go. Excuse me." I brushed past him, trying to escape, but he pulled me back.

"Maria wait!" He begged. I looked down in order to avoid eye contact with him. The more I look at him, the more I fall for him.

"Please go out with me tomorrow night." He began.

"I-I-I can't Orlando. I-" He interrupted.

"Why not? Did I do something wrong?" He asked in frustration. I kept my head down, not answering.

"It's my sister isn't it?" He moved closer to me.

"Whatever she said to you, don't listen to her Maria." He said sternly.

"She's always trying to take my happiness away from me. Every time I meet someone and grow feelings for her...she's gets between us." He explained.

"And now it seems like she's getting worse. Ever since that guy told her that he had a girl already and rejected her...she's a totally different person." He finished.

"I really need to go Orlando." I said, walking away.

"Promise me that you'll go out with me tomorrow night?" He pleaded, grabbing my arm. I hesitated for a moment, debating whether to say yes or to reject him.

"Please?" He begged with sorrow in his eyes.

"Alright." I finally said. A smile crept on his face as he let go of my arm.

"I'll see you tomorrow night then." He said.

"Bye Maria." He kissed my cheek before walking away. I mentally slapped myself for giving in. I want to stay away from him as much as possible but he wasn't taking no for an answer. I know that I'm going to regret this.

"What took you so long and where's your drink?" He asked, holding his hands out. I plopped down in the chair, quickly opening my bag.

"I changed my mind." I simply stated without looking at him.

"What's wrong babe?" He asked while taking a couple of fries.

"Nothing." I said lowly. He reached over the table, lifting my chin up to face him.