Xscape

You Know Me Better Than I Know Myself

The Next Morning | 10:00 A.M.

Jacob

I got out of the car then got Madelyn out. She slept in my arms peacefully as I made my way towards the building. I was searched before they lead me down the hall. They took me to a room with a table inside. I sat down in the chair and waited patiently. I stared at Madelyn the entire time as her small chest went up and down. She jumped a little...dreaming I guess. Her fingers rubbed against my skin...if she had nails, she would've left marks. But it was harmless. The door opened, grabbing my attention. Charlie walked in slowly with her head down. She sat across from me, not looking at me at all. The door closed and I spoke.

"Hey." I softly greeted.

"H-hi." She greeted shyly. I found it kinda weird. She's never been shy around me. She's always been straight forward.

"How is everything?" She asked me.

"Everything is good." I simply answered.

"How is she?" She asked, smiling at her daughter. I looked down at Madelyn before speaking.

"She's amazing." I answered. She smiled weakly before responding.

"M-may I hold her?" She questioned. I glanced at her.

"P-please?" She inquired.

"Y-yeah." I replied, slowly standing up to my feet. I gently placed Madelyn in her arms then sat back into my seat. I watched as Charlie rocked her back and forth in her arms. I saw her eyes water, tears beginning to fall from them.

"She's so precious." She softly cried with a small chuckle. It killed me inside that she wasn't able to see her like she wanted to, but Charlie done this to herself. I just hate that Madelyn won't be around her real mother while growing up.

"She's beautiful. It's amazing." She stated, still admiring her daughter.

"When are you getting out?" I asked. She took her eyes off of Madelyn.

"Never." She said in disappointment. I sighed, placing my hands on the table.

"Why not?" I asked her.

"Jacob. I'm crazy. I was born this way and I'll always be this way. I belong here." She explained.

"That's not true. With a little therapy..you can get yourself together." I told her. She chuckled as the tears slowly continued to fall.

"You don't understand. I killed my parents. I killed an innocent child. Yes, she bullied me, but she didn't deserve to die. I hurt innocent people. I stalked you for Christ sakes Jacob." She softly cried. I looked down at my hands.

"And that's just half of it. I've done so much...you wouldn't be able to count on four hands." She added.

"I don't belong out in the world. I deserve to be locked away forever. Society isn't for me." She finished.

"I'm sorry Jacob. I'm sorry for making months of your life a living hell. I'm sorry for being a bitch towards you. I'm sorry for ruining your relationship. I'm sorry for everything." She apologized. I cringed at her soft voice. This was the first I've ever seen Charlie calm and sane. It's like she was a whole different person. A normal person. Not that crazy maniac that almost killed me because I wouldn't love her. I suddenly felt bad for her. My main focus in this whole situation was making sure that Madelyn doesn't lose her mother.

"I'm sorry baby." She whispered to Madelyn. I sighed at the scene. It was breaking my heart.

"Mommy's sorry for being this way. You don't deserve this Madelyn. You deserve to be happy. If only I could take it all back I would." She cried. I bowed my head, not wanting to see her quietly breakdown.