Paper Airplanes

Harry’s POV

I smiled knocking on the door to (Y/N)’s apartment. I could hear the noises of two people talking, and I frowned. Who was she with? She opened the door, sighing when she saw me. I watched as she slid out into the empty hallway. I smiled at her, and she folded her arms across her chest.

“Hey,” she muttered.

“Hey,” I hesitantly crossed the hall, closing any space between the two of us. My hands reached out to embrace her, but she held up her hands to stop me. “Umm… What’s wrong with you?”

“Nothing,” she responded. Her eyes were glued to the floor, and I grabbed her chin so that she was looking at me. “I think we need some time apart.”

My heart dropped down to my knees, and I placed a hand on the wall to steady myself. I blinked unable to think of an intelligent response. Her eyes stared at me, watching my reaction, and I looked at her in confusion.

“Baby, what’s wrong?” I asked. “We can work through this.”

“No we can’t.” She turned her head so that I couldn’t see her face. “You know like I know that we can’t.”

Tears ran down her face, *GIF* and I wiped them away, trying to stay calm. My chest ached from her words, and I knew that there had to be something I could do. I loved (Y/N) too much to just walk away from her.

“Baby,” I whispered. “(Y/N), tell me what’s going on.”

“You aren’t here anymore,” she muttered. Her voice cracked audibly, and I pulled her into my arms, crushing her tiny body against mine. “You’re always gone, and I never talk to you. You’re just busy with the guys or with your job. I just want you to be with me.”

“I’m sorry,” I apologized. How could I have been so oblivious to the amount of pain that she was in? I looked down at her, biting my lip in worry. “I’ll fix it. I’ll fix everything.”

“I wish it were that easy,” she said. She pulled out of my embrace before opening her apartment door. I looked into the apartment, frowning when I saw another man sitting on her sofa. I opened my mouth to question her, but she shook her head signalling to leave the situation alone.

“It isn’t easy anymore, Harry,” she muttered. “It used to be, but it isn’t now.”

I watched brokenhearted as (Y/N) closed the door. My heart seemed to crack into a billion pieces, and I stared at her apartment door, wishing that she would open the door and kiss me like she used to.

The longer I stood there, the more apparent it became that she wasn’t coming back out. After ten more minutes of waiting, I gave the door one last wishful look before grabbing my suitcase and heading off towards the elevator.

“It could still be easy,” I said aloud. My words were only met with silence, and I squeezed my eyes shut, already feeling tears forming beneath my lids. “It could be as easy as making paper airplanes.”