Chapter 08

{KORDEI}

I s k i p p e d  my last hour the day and headed home to see my mom and dad on the sofa.

“Aren’t you supposed to be in school?” My father says but he doesn’t sound upset with me, I walk into the living room and sit on the sofa with them.

“Yeah, I am, but I was wonder if I could have some friends over? For a sleepover thing? So can we go pick up snacks and whatever else you get at sleepovers.” I ask and my dad smiles at me

“Oh wow Normani, you are really making an effort, of course we can but you can’t just skip school.”

I sigh and nod because they’re right but when I’ve already study math three step equations, I don’t want to do it again.

My mom takes me to a local candy store and we buy everything, chocolate, brownie mix, cake mix, suckers, sour gummies, red hots, and other candy treats. We buy loads of pop and juice too and my mom giggles and promises to order pizza.

“It’s just you’ve only made friend when it came to dance and gymnastics, it’s really nice seeing you out of your element and still making friends, good for you Normani.”

I smile “Thanks mom, they’re really nice girls.”

When we make it back home we set up the house; our house is full of colours; green, tan, brown, blues so my mother and played some music and decorated the house and the snacks and pops by colours, in the living room all of the red hots and red gummies were in the kitchen all of the brownie mix and in my room where the colour scheme was pink and green we had the pink and green and watermelon flavored candy.

I didn’t want to admit that I was really excited for this sleepover, but I was.

I had texted Lauren and Camila my address and they promised to be over by five. I still had a two more hours to kill so I went and sat down on my parents bed, but they we’re getting dressed, my mom looked fancy in a dark lavender dress and my father in his suit.

“Wow, you guys look awesome, where are you going?”

“It’s actually our anniversary, so we are going to spend the weekend away from the house, so it’s good your friends are coming over to get you out of trouble.”

“Well happy anniversary guys!” I say getting up and hugging my parents “have fun, don’t get too crazy,” I say raising my eyebrows up and down and my mom slaps my arm.

I kiss their cheeks before they head out and they promise to see me on Monday, once they’re gone I head back to my bedroom and change into some sweat pants and a sports bra, and play some music trying to loosen up before the girls come over.

I was actually nervous, they had been so nice to me when I had my stupid little moment back at the library, I had gotten upset about leaving Texas and my friends, everything was so different here, I couldn’t make friend with the girls here and I was lucky enough to find Dinah Jane and Ally.

I didn’t like breaking down, I hated crying and having to deal with certain things, even though I had voiced my displeasure about moving to Miami it was as if all of my opinions had gone on deaf ears. At first I thought I would be able to handle it, but turns out thinking about my old home made me sad.

After I had gotten myself together I tried to ignore the little pinch on my heart but I couldn’t, not really.

I loved how Lauren held my hand and looked into my eyes, even though she had never been in an experience like mine all I had to do is look into those green eyes and feel her hand and mine and it was like everything was piecing back together, and then Camila came in and made us all laugh and laughing is one of the best medicines you could have.