Chapter 40

{Camila}

Kordei's dad came home shortly after my speech to Lauren to help her calm down and understand everything that was happening around her. I was sitting there next to her telling her to be strong and not get upset but in the end I was freaking out just as much as she was, if not more. The more I thought about Kordei the more I realised I didn't know anything about her past, what her life was before she came here, and it hurt that I was stupid enough not to ask her those questions. what was it like back in Texas? In Atlanta? Who were your fiends? And I would ask her things like "what kind of dance is your favorite?" but I never asked her the serious questions like what could be haunting her so strongly to keep strongly locked in her head, in her own nightmare. I couldn't believe I could be so stupid and insincere.

Kordei knew about the issues with my mom and my older sister, she knew about how close I was with my dad who lived in the other town over. How I wanted to get married and have kids, she knew every single thing about me and I knew nothing.

I couldn't believe I was so stupid and only talked about myself. hell, I didn't even knew she wrote poetry. Even Lauren knew that.

As we walked around Kordei's house with her father I picked up one of her poems called 'Ghost of You'

Turn my back, to the door. Feel so much better now, don't even try anymore, nothing left to lose.

There's a voice that's in the air
Saying don't look back nowhere
There's a voice that's always there

I'll never be
Quite the same as I was before
This part of you still remains
Though it's out of focus
You're just somewhere that I've been
And I won't go back again
You're just somewhere that I've been

I look away from the paper, I have no idea who this is about but it hurts.

Mr. Hamilton finally sits us down at the kitchen table we had told him Kordei was down in the basement with a boy named Michael but he wasn't phased by it at all, just sighed and gave a gruff "is it her boyfriend?" and we had shook her heads "good, because I was pretty sure she was dating both of you."

And my cheeks went red and Lauren's jaw dropped.

He looks at our faces and chuckles warm and loud, a lot like his daughter's "Don't worry, I'm not here to rain on your parade or stop your sleepovers. After she became friends or more than friends with both of you she had been better, I'm not going to put any rules on that."

"Thank you sir," Lauren chokes out and I nod along with her statement and he smiles.

"Please, call me Derrick." he runs a hand down his face "so I guess we should get to it, more likely than not Normani hasn't told you anything about her nightmares or what causes them."

We both shake our heads and he sighs.

"Normani was 14 when she met Arin Ray, a boy from back home. He was 16 and she was completely smitten with him. Normani has always been homeschooled so we were just glad she making friends outside of the family. Arin had been in her dance class, so after we aloud her to hang out with him outside of class is when things got bad and I still don't know all of it."

-

{Kordei}

"He was beautiful, and so... alluring, I wanted to be with him at all times, I wanted to see his outlook on the world and he treated me like I was special." Michael turns and looks at me grabbing my hand and he gives it squeeze.

"We met when I was 14 and I fell in with him, I can still remember him the way he looked, the way he tasted. I still remember everything."

"Did he love you?" Michael asks me looking up at me and I could feel the tears starting to fill my eyes and I shake my head.