Tom - Scared to be lonely (Soulmate!AU)

If you're interested, go check out my Tom Holland social media!fic called Lullaby! I update it almost every day and although it doesn't seem to have much of a story line at the moment, I promise there is more coming!

Not being able to see colour was frustrating to say the least. All your life you had been told that when the time was right, the colour would come. When you met your 'soul mate' it would unlock that part of yourself.

At first, when you were younger, you had thought it was romantic. Only being able to see the true vibrance of the world around you once you had met the person you were destined to spend the rest of your life with. To a twelve-year-old-you, nothing seemed more perfect.

However, as the years passed and your vision staying in dull black and white, you started to get bored with the idea. Doubt had plagued you at first; what if you didn't find your soul mate? What if something had happened to them? What if you didn't even have a soul mate? For years, you had been worried about your future. It was almost a relief once you turned sixteen and the scars - signifying where your soulmate had been hurt - had begun to appear. Thin a pale, they littered your body in a series of cracks.
At first you had been hopeful. But slowly, as the weeks passed and no soulmate appeared, that hope had faded into oblivion and you were left feeling even more desolate than before.

Sitting in a small cafe in London, you could barely look around you without being disgusted by the sight of couples everywhere, happy and content in each others arms. The way they looked at each other made you cringe and almost gag, so you tried your best to ignore them and get on with your work.

Loud laughter rang out from one of the tables nearby and you scowled, barely glancing up at the couple who were sitting there. Silently you cursed yourself for not bringing your headphones with you. This was the third time you had been interrupted and you were getting sick and tired of being unable to concentrate on your project.

As yet another happy shriek rang through the small coffee shop, you slammed your laptop shut and stood up. Grabbing your half eaten muffin from the table, you slid your laptop into your bag and hurried as quickly out of the building as possible in order to avoid being smothered by lovey dovey-ness.

Wrapping your coat tighter around your body, you braced yourself against the cold wind and began to speed walk down the street, hoping to find somewhere new to continue on with your work.
However, each and every coffee shop you passed was over-run by those mushy creatures so eventually you settled yourself down on a small park bench.

A cool breeze blew idly through the park, rustling the orange leaves that littered the grass and you let out a long sigh. Peace and quite was exactly what you needed to finish this project to university and you had finally found it. Or so you thought.

It had barely been ten minutes or relative silence before the pristine image was shattered by the happy bark of a dog. Paws pattered over the carpet of leaves and more barking followed.

"Hey! Tessa!"

There was a shout and then you felt something crash into your legs. The jolt knocked your laptop, which was already set rather precariously on your knees, and you had to grab onto it quickly to keep it from falling.
Shutting it quickly, you looked down in annoyance only to be greeted with the happy face of a Staffordshire Bull terrier, it's pink tongue hanging out of its mouth and it's short tail wagging so fast it was almost a blur.

A smile crept it's way into your face. There was no way you could be angry with this dog, even in you tried.
Leaning forward slightly, you held out your hand. The dog lifted it's head and sniffed your fingers before giving this a great big lick. You giggled and withdrew your hand, wiping in on the leg of your jeans before reaching down to scratch the dog behind the ear. It whined in pleasure and suddenly jumped up to sit beside you on the bench. You laughed and continued to stroke it, grinning all the time.