✎ DIY Illuminated Constellations ✎

This chapter will include a tutorial on how to make illuminated constellations wall art!

WHAT YOU'LL NEED

- drill and 1/4" drill bit
- miter saw
- rag
- hammer
- wood filler
- fine grit sandpaper
- detail paintbrush
- painting essentials (paint roller sleeve, handle and paint tray)
- roll of kraft paper
- damp cloth
- 2' x 4' sheet of stain-grade plywood
- 1x2 x 12' piece of pine or birch trim
- strand of 100 white LED twinkle lights
- 10' extension cord
- water-based wood stain
- quart of white semi-gloss latex paint
- picture nails
- polyurethane

Step 1 : Miter Trim and Attach to Plywood
Cut 1x2 pine or birch trim to size, cut the ends at 45-degree angles on the miter saw. Once all pieces of trim are mitered, fasten them along the perimeter of the plywood with picture nails. The very back of the plywood should sit flush with the back of the trim. The front of the trim should sit proud of the plywood, resulting in a lip around the front.

Step 2 : Apply Stain
Use a rag to apply an even coat of stain to the plywood and the trim. Allow it to dry.

Step 3 : Paint Star Chart and Add Holes
Use a small detail paintbrush and white semi-gloss paint to create the constellations. This can be freehanded and random or done literally in reference to an actual star chart.
Use a 1/4" drill bit to create the holes directly through the painted dots (stars).

Step 4 : Seal with Polyurethane
Wipe wood shavings from the surface of the plywood, then use paint roller to add an even coat of sealer.

Step 5 : Add Twinkle Lights
With the plywood turned upside down, push each of the twinkle lights through the drilled holes. Once all holes are filled, use electrical tape to fasten the ends of the twinkle light cords to the back of the plywood. Hang the constellation art on the wall, then plug in the lights.

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Remember to vote and comment if you have any questions or recommendations :)

Kaesha xoxo