Chapter 54- I don't need your sympathy

"Ok, just act like yourself. Don't worry about my brother. He's gonna be too sad to actually torture you... I think." I explained to Adam as he pulled up in front of my parent's house.

"You think?" Adam widened his eyes.

I just giggled.

"Don't worry." I gave him a reassuring smile. Then I took a deep breath.

"It seems like you're more nervous than I am." Adam chuckled and gave me a peck on the lips. "It'll be fine. I'm here not to impress them. I'm here to sympathize with them." he explained, looking from side to side and explaining his concept. It's great that he's being cool with all this...

I smiled one last time and got out of the car. And so did he.

Ding Dong!

The door was answered by my mom.

"Oh honey." she exclaimed and hugged me tightly. I hugged her back. Man, it's been a while since I last saw my family. It feels nice.

"Hey mom." she let go and placed her hands on my shoulder, smiling widely.

"You're so beautiful now." she giggled.

"Of course!" I joked and we both laughed.

"Oh!" That's right, Adam. "Mom, this is Adam." I introduced Adam to my mom.

"Hello Mrs. Bright." Adam shook my mom's hand and gave a full smile. Woah, who are you and what have you done with Adam?

"Oh!" my mom exclaimed. "No need to be so formal, honey. Call me mom." she giggled.

Adam exchanged glances with me and gave an awkward laugh.

"Seriously, mom?" I rolled my eyes.

"Oh c'mon. Having a famous singer as a son-in law is gonna be great." she laughed.

Ugh.

"Mom... son-in law? We're not even married." I scoffed. Getting super embarrassed right now.

"Not yet." she laughed and I just laughed as well... but awkwardly.

"Mandy? Is that you?" my dad got out of the living room and immediately lit up when he saw me. My brother was behind him, smiling. But his eyes is much more red than I last saw him at the cafe. Man, he must be really crying his eyes out.

"Hi dad." I hugged him tightly.

"My little girl's all grown up." he let out a big laugh and placed his hand on my right shoulder.

I rolled my eyes. Why does everyone in my family look at me like I'm a five year old?

"Yeah." I grinned awkwardly.

"This must be Adam, huh?"my dad lit up a wide smile and diverted his attention to Adam. Okay, looks like my dad's cool with him.

"Yep." I looked at Adam. He gave me a small smile.

"Hi sir." he shook my dad's hand and my dad happily accepted it.

So far, so good.

"And this is my brother." I looked at my brother and back at Adam.

"Um... You must be Kent?" Adam smiled and extended his hand for a shake.

"Yeah." my brother's eyebrows were narrowed, and his arms were crossed. He just stared at Adam's hand like it was a disgusting creature, and definitely did not accept it. Okay... not lookin' good.

"I'm sorry for your loss." Adam took the hint and pulled back his hand.

"I don't need your sympathy." I heard Kent mutter under his breath, loud enough for me to make out... but probably not clear enough for Adam to hear... HOPEFULLY.

I glared at Kent. Dude, don't even start.

Adam looked confused, as if he really didn't get what Kent said. Oh, thank God.

My dad cleared his throat and clapped his hands together. "So!" Thank god someone's there to break the awkwardness. "How about dinner?" he smiled, looking at all of us.

I could totally feel the electric lightning that Kent's glare was trying to give to Adam. This won't end well...