A Flutter in the Night

Marc stood alone behind the storage shed and the woods not enterally sure what to do. The crown prince had returned and that could only mean trouble in the palace courts. Feeling the adrenaline start to wear off, he stiffened a yawn peering around him. He'll just have to crash at his shepherd friend's place, that is if he could find it. Despite everything that had happened Marc's mind was sharped with the events of earlier and kept getting snagged on the mysterious ring. He wasn't sure if he had seen it before and thought that it might have been Luka's which would explain its strange familiarity he had felt when the silver-haired kid picked it up. Following his train of thought, he began getting more annoyed at the kid a sense of gratitude nagging him but never fully present. Before his thoughts could delve any deeper he realized that he had finally arrived at Mage's house or shack. One of its walls was a part of the building next door and the rest slanted in the same direction, constantly threatening to collapse. Letting himself in by pulling away a blanket that acted as a curtain or door. At first, the small space looked empty with a bunch of rags piled up in the corner but Marc knew better. Taking a couple steps in, being careful to not bump his head, Mage's head came into view beneath the rags. Almost out of habit, Marc leaned over him placing his figure under the boy's nose to check for breath. Yep, still alive. With the strange reassurance, Marc sank to his knees and quickly cleared a spot in the opposite corner of the small room where he normally slept. Despite the clanking of metal and random junk, Marc finally cleared enough space to sleep, knowing that Mage could even sleep through the loudest and biggest festivals. Lying back he was sure it would take time for sleep to arrive, but no sooner had his head rested on the dirt ground he had fallen asleep. Sleep seemed to latch onto him and, not putting up a fight, simply pulled him into the ground.

***

A quick glisten of silver vanished as quickly as it had appeared, only visible as the moonlight shown on it. The still sky and light breeze seemed otherworldy as the young boy darted lightly on his feet. He didn't seem to rely on his eyes to see where he was going but moved as though he had made the same journey hundreds of times before and was now doing it out of simply muscle memory. Rounding a corner he swiftly slowed to a casual walk, his breath as steady as though he had been walking the whole time. Opening his closed hand he allowed the ring to bath in the moonlight as he smiled to himself. A sound of something toppling took him off guard as he instantly closed his fist and ran. He couldn't lose it again.

No.

He couldn't let someone steal it again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

Alright alright... I haven't updated in *counts on figures and mumbles to herself* if today is Thursday and I wrote ... wait no... it was before the dance but the day after I got there soooo... the 27th? So last Friday? Oh dear....

If my calculations are correct then I have completely failed writing during this busy week. *hands sword to readers* do away with me as you see fit.

To be honest the busy week ended Monday but me not updating till now was a mix of laziness, feeling as though I had lost pace with the story, as well as thinking I should be spending time on more important things.... like studying for the Sats which are this saturday...

I have no idea how this happened.... drax

OH INFINITY WARS WERE BOMB AND I FELT LIKE ANYTHING I DID WOULD DULL IN COMPARISON!!! (nope that's not why I stopped writing UGH!!)

Anyways it is about 11:30 so I gotta sleep and get use to waking up early since I gotta get to the SATs around 7:45am

GOODNIGHT PEEPS!!!