Better Off

*language and content warning- this chapter contains profanity and some scences that may not be suitable for everyone (mental health problems). Sorry for any inconvenience.*

  I walked down the hallway in search of Peter, I had to do this as soon as possible. Dragging it out would only hurt him more. I knocked on the door to his room and a "come in" responded.

  "Hey, Peter... I need to talk to you."

  "Umm, okay. Is everything alright?"

  "Uh, yeah. This is just important."

  "Okay, yeah yeah, what is it?"

  "Here goes," I was nervous. Part of my brain was telling me to not do it, but it was healthier for him. "Peter..."

  "El you're scaring me."

  "Peter I'm not making you happy. I'm stressing you out, you've been so distant and it's because of me. You always worry about me and it's not healthy for you. I'm sorry Peter. I hope we can still be friends but you'll be happier without me as your girlfriend. That's just how it has to be."

  "Where is this coming from? Elena you make me happier than anything!"

  "I'm sorry Peter. You know I love you, I really do. So fucking much. You don't need to understand my thinking, but we need to at least take a break. I could've died during that mission. If something happens, I don't want you to worry. Please Peter."

  "I-I...."

  "You don't have to say anything."

  "Elena I'm so sorry."

  "You don't need to be. I'm the one who fucked this all up."

  "Friends though?"

  "Always."
-
  I left his room and it felt like a huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders. It felt like I could breathe again. I wasn't stressed out anymore and I felt really good. My eyes were a little misty and yeah, I was sad, but I was happy too. It would take me a day or two, but I'd be okay.

  I walked into the living room and flopped down onto my favorite couch. I grabbed a pillow and hugged it while browsing through my phone. Everyone gave me a look but didn't acknowledge it. My eyes started tearing up again but I tried my best to force the tears back. Natasha came and sat down next to me.

  "What happened?"

  "What do you mean?"

  "You're trying not to cry, what's the matter?"

  "Nothing Nat, thanks though."

  "Elena, I know you, you can tell me."

  I looked at the others sitting around. Tony, Pietro, Wanda and Steve were watching.

  "I-uh..."

  "Do you want them to leave?"

  "What? Oh no, it's fine. They'll find out eventually. I broke up-" my voice got shaky and cracked a bit. "I broke up with Peter a few minutes ago."

  Tony had a sad look in his eyes, Pietro didn't seem phased while Wanda was almost crying herself. Steve just awkwardly shuffled his feet without saying anything. Natasha grabbed my hand.

  "Wanna talk about it? Somewhere private?"

  "Umm, yeah, sure."

  She guided me into her room and we sat down on her bed.

  "So?"

  "He's been so much more stressed and didn't lately, especially this morning. I-I knew it was my fault and he'd be happier. So I just... went in there and did it."

  "Are you okay?"

  "Uh yeah. Actually yeah I'm good. It's a breakup, it'll take a few days but I feel good. I don't have to worry about getting hurt in missions now."

  "You broke up with him because you were worried that you were stressing him out?"

  "Yeah. I know it sounds bad but my brain just told me to end it."

  "What about your heart though?"

  "Doesn't matter. It's already done and I don't plan on getting back together anytime soon."

  "Okay. You're a strong girl Elena. Take a few days off. You've earned it. I just think that breaking up might not be the best way to handle it. You guys were so great together.

  "I love him so much Nat, I want him to be okay too. It probably wasn't, but it's too late now. And, I don't want any days off."

  "It's never too late and I'll try to find something for you."

  When she finished that last syllable, there was a knock on the door. Tony. He opened it slowly after Natasha granted him permission and he kinda smiled at me. Natasha got the hint and left. Tony knelt down infront of me and smiled. I really didn't need this but I don't think I had much of a choice.

  "Hey Tony," I smiled.

  "Hey kid, doing okay?"

  "Surprisingly yeah. Feels good to not have to worry about getting hurt anymore."

  "You still have to worry about that Elena."

  "Not really. Getting hurt in missions doesn't scare me. Having other people worry about does. If I get kidnapped or something again, I don't want to put any of you at risk. That's just how it needs to be Tony."

  "We'll all worry about you though Elena. That's never going to change. We'll always come and save you."

  "I don't think you understand Tony."

  "What? What don't I understand?"

  "By Peter and I being together, he wanted to come with me on things. That's putting him at risk. He's only 16 Tony, he can't fight like you guys can. As much as I love him, he's not like you guys. He can fight damn well, better than me, but he can't beat you."

  "You're worried about him."

  "I'm petrified that he'll be the one to get hurt next time."

  "He wouldn't let that happen. Unlike you, he actually worries about himself."

  "He can't control everything."

  "That's true."

  "Whatever Stark. I already did it. It's done."

  "Nah, you guys aren't through."

  "Take your huge ass nose out of it Tony."

  "Wow, you're mean."

  "Don't try to change anything. What's done is done. I made my bed... now I have to sleep in it."

  "Whatever," he smirked and walked out of the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts.