Chapter 13

I slowly walk downstairs, scared to eat much food. Joe glances at me worriedly and grabs my hand, squeezing it tightly. He lets go as we reach the foot of the stairs and we walk towards the kitchen. I watch Joe fill his plate before I grab a little green salad and a large glass of cold water. 'Is that all you're having?' Joe sounds pretty worried. I look into his beautiful green-blue eyes. 'Yeah, because my stomach has shrunk from lack of food, so I need to drink plenty of water to expand it before I put lots of food in.' I state. Joe nods and we sit down to watch TV.

I nibble gingerly at my salad and it feels strange to have food in my stomach. However, I'm full straight away. Once we've all finished eating, me, Zoë, Tan, Louise and Niomi decide to watch Mean Girls. It was the first film I watched with Tan and Zo nine years ago. I just can't get over how good it is. It's October 3rd in the movie when Zoë says, 'So, you and Joe are an item now?' The others turn to me, eyebrows raised. 'Um, yeah. He asked if I'd be his girlfriend in the park.' I say, not looking at them and keeping my eyes on the film. I hear them "aw" before Tan speaks, 'That's adorable! You two are so cute together. Oohh, we need a ship name!'

'Ahhh!' Zoë squeals, clearly excited. I take my eyes off the screen to see her beaming at me. I can tell she is truly happy for me, and that's what I love about Zo, as well as Tan, Louise and Niomi. 'I'm thinking . . . Jestelle!' The others squeal, clearly excited. 'I love it!' Niomi gasps. I laugh, shaking my head.

'Well, we were going to keep it quiet, since my brothers hate me. But Joe had to go announce when we were filming and we were on the phone to you!' I can't stop giggling remembering Zoë's reaction.

Zoë laughs. 'Did I tell you three about that?' The girls shake their heads, smiling. I know they can tell that a rather amusing anecdote is going to follow. 'Joe, A.K.A the biggest dickhead in the world, called me and told me he got Estelle pregnant!' The girls burst into laughter, clutching their sides. 'Sorry, Zo. I dared Joe to because he dared me to jump into the pool straight away and it totally ruined my sundress!' I laugh at my girlish ways, only caring about my outfit.

When Cady is at the mathletes competition, Marcus comes into the living room. 'Give us a hand,' he turns to me. 'I have never felt more awkward in my life. Joe doesn't get why your brothers aren't talking to him.' I sigh.

'Can he wait ten minutes? Just distract them.' Marcus nods and lets us finish the film. As soon as the credits appear on the screen, I get up and practically drag Joe to our room. He looks confused as I shut the door.

'Joe, I think it's safe to say my brothers hate us.' I say, my voice cracking slightly as I blink back a few tears. 'But why?' I sigh, burying my face in my hands.

'Well, when we went to the club, you got pretty drunk, okay?' Joe's mouth forms an "O" shape as I continue. 'Well, um . . . you kind of made out with me. And, whey, me brothers saw, didn't they?' Oh no. Here it comes. The Geordie, Northern accent and words. Now I know I'm seriously stressing. It happened during my GCSEs, and I talked Geordie for a whole year.

My brothers weren't born Up North, but I was. I moved back down South almost straight away, though, as we were on holiday when my mum had me. It was the first day. I remember my dad would take me up every holiday because I wanted to see where I was born as it fascinated me, and my mum would stay at home with my brothers. I've seriously adopted the accent since I moved, as when I moved out I got a beautiful apartment in Newcastle. It's, like, I went though a phase once where I watched so much American TV, I adopted the accent for a month or two, and people kept asking me if I was American. 'Could you calm down, babe? I don't really get much of what you're saying . . .' Joe trails off.

'Sorry.' I say, looking at my feet as I continue.

'Reet - I mean right, well then my brothers beat you up and you hit them and then I had a huge fall out with Finn and Jack, but mainly Finn. And yeah, now they hate us.' I say, my voice shaking a little bit. Joe embraces me.
'So . . . my best friends hate my guts?' He asks seriously. I just nod before I try to speak. 'Y-yeah.' Now I feel worse than ever before. I realise that I haven't just lost my brothers and inflicted this upon me, but I've made Joe lose his best friends and inflicted it on him as well.

'Joe?'

'Mhm?' He mumbles.

'All things happen for a reason, right? That means that things were going to fall to ruins anyway so a better structure could be built, or it'll make our relationships stronger if we make up. I've never fought with my brothers and I don't know what to do. It's all my fault!' I sob, soaking Joe's t-shirt.

'It's not your fault, it's mine.' He sighs, 'I'm so sorry, Stel.' He says. I don't say anything because there's no point arguing with Joe. It'll just make things worse. I just climb into my bed, tossing and turning restlessly, eventually lulling myself to sleep through my tears.