Chapter 53: Christmas Party

'Niomi!' I squeal, hugging her. She squeezes me and pulls away, smiling.
'Hi! How's things?' She asks, giggling slightly. I nod.
'Great, great. How about you?'
'Same. Really good, are you excited for Christmas?' She asks, sipping her drink.
'Yeah, I can't wait. How about you? What are you doing this year?'
'I think we're going to visit Marcus's family this year. I'm excited, I always am! How are you spending it?' She smiles.
'Oh. Well me, Joe, Zo, Alfie, Jack and Finn are going up to mine and Joe's for a few days. So I'm spending it with them.'

I chat to Niomi for a while until Joe comes to find me. 'Hey, babe.' He says, wrapping an arm around me. I smile up at him and Niomi beams. 'Awe you two are so cute! That reminds me, how's the baby?'
'Good, I guess. I haven't felt any kicking and I guess we won't find out much until the first scan.' I reply as I look up at Joe who nods.
'Have you picked any names yet?' Niomi asks. I furrow my eyebrows slightly.
'No, actually. We haven't really thought about it, but we probably should. I'm thinking I'll see how the scan goes and then we'll choose.'

'Okay, so there's a photo booth which blows fake snow and apparently it's really cool, so me and Joe are going to go check it out.' I shout, holding the camera in front of my face. I can hardly understand what I'm saying for the noise, so I doubt the viewers will have much of a clue. Joe takes my hand and guides me to the booth. Inside is the cutest little winter scene. The backdrop is a winter wonderland and there is a literal snow machine. Joe pulls me onto his lap, making me giggle. We take a couple of funny photos and then we muck on so much the last few photos are just adorable shots of us being stupid. I think there's one of us kissing, cringe. I can't even begin to comprehend how much I'm going to blush when these print.

Yep. My face heats so much when I see the strip of photos that I have to excuse myself to the bathroom with Zoë. 'I'm redder than a fucking tomato.' I sigh. Zo laughs. I lean against the wall and begin to feel my face cool before we step back into the hot room. It really hits me just how warm it is in here. Joe sees me and hands me the photos. They are so cute but so cheesy. They really reflect our personality which I like but they make me cringe. Suddenly the heat overcomes me and I feel so hot that my lungs can't access the oxygen because so little of the air feels breathable and I begin to feel quite light-headed. I hand the photos back to Joe and pick up my diet coke, whisking myself from the building to outside.

I sit down in the garden of the venue, not bothered that my dress will be soaked. I take a long drink and breathe out slowly as my vision adjusts to the dark and my head begins to feel better. I relax slightly on the bench, looking up at the stars and the bright moon shining down. I smile to myself and then I notice Joe's face coming into view. 'What are you doing?' His voice is sharp in my ears, startling me. I jump a little and our heads knock against each other. 'Oh, sorry!' I wail as I clutch my head, rubbing my free hand against the spot where Joe's head hit mine. He giggles and sets me off, so we're both laughing like hyenas. 'C'mon, Tan and Jim are waiting inside, we're going to go now.' He says, showing me the time on his watch. It's half one.

We get a taxi back to Jim and Tan's and we all want to head straight to bed. I said I didn't mind sleeping on the sofa but that depends if we actually sleep because we're talking about the party in the living room. Joe is insistent on showing Jim and Tan the photos from the photo booth, causing me to bury my face in my hands. 'Estelle how can you find these embarrassing? They're so cute!' Tan exclaims as I lift my face up. I spy Joe with his camera and roll my eyes, getting up and taking the camera from him.

'Joe, don't!' I moan, keeping as tight a grip as possible on the little black camera. He removes it from my fingers in one swift move and finds the photos. 'Look at these!'
'Joe!' I groan, face palming.
'Why do you hate them? Everyone says they are cute.' Joe argues.
'Oh, I don't know,' I begin sarcastically. 'Maybe because I look like a turkey who's been blown up in a mine explosion! Besides, they are unbelievably cheesy.' I argue back. 'How do you look like a dead turkey? You look gorgeous!' Joe exclaims, making me sigh. Maybe I don't want to be "gorgeous". Maybe I just want to sleep right now. 'We are cheesy. That defines our relationship.' Joe says matter-of-factly. I sigh, I can't really be bothered to fake argue with Joe.

Jim and Tan make their way to their bedroom, leaving me and Joe to settle down to sleep. As we lie on the sofa, Joe nuzzled into my neck with his arms wrapped tightly around my waist, I realise I haven't got him a present. And tomorrow is Christmas Eve. It's not because I'm last minute, which I'm definitely not, it's just we've just been so busy I was supposed to get it a while ago, but then Tan asked if we wanted to come down for the party and I was always on the phone to Zo and my brothers so we could organise Christmas. I have no idea what to get him. The thought haunts me for a further hour before an idea finally pops into my head. I'm sure Joe will love it.