Chapter 64: First Day

The alarm rings loud in my ears. I find the source of the noise, which is my phone, and press the snooze button. I sit up and check the time. Six o' clock, ninth of May. It's the first day of my new job today. Joe turns over and grabs my arm, trying to keep me from getting up. 'Joe, please?' I practically beg, trying to move his hand from my wrist. 'I need to get ready, I can't be late on my first day!'
'Oh, I forgot you started today.' Joe lets go of my wrist and stretches. I climb out of bed and groan.

It's too early for my brain to function properly. I'm too tired to think but too excited to not think. I check my phone and see a text from Sadie, telling me to just wear something comfortable for today in particular. I change into some black leggings and a cream blouse, a long thin grey cardigan. I run up to my office to choose some black ballet flats with little white bows on the front. I rush downstairs and get some breakfast, feeling productive. I decide to have some smiley faces, you know those potato things? I used to love them when I was younger. I still do in all fairness. I wolf down my breakfast within five minutes because I'm really hungry.

I brush my teeth and bound up the stairs to do my makeup. I decide on a basic cat eye with a light pink lipgloss. Natural. I pull on my shoes and find my black bag I'm going to use for my work. I kiss Joe on the forehead but he wraps his arms around my waist and kisses me passionately. 'Proud of you, baby.' He whispers, 'Love you.'
'Love you, too. I've got to go. See you at half six.' I giggle, 'You've got lip gloss on your face.' Joe blushes and attempts to wipe it off.
'Bye, babe.' Joe smiles.

Sadie said she would pick me up at half seven. That's in five minutes. Not knowing what to do with my hands, I bind them into nervous knots and attempt feebly to undo them. I knock my knees together and swish my legs back and forth, brushing them against each other. I search through my bag and check I've got everything. I have. All my files of past uni work, phone, lunch money, that kind of thing. I hear the doorbell ring and open the door straight away.

Sadie smiles at me. 'Hi! Are you ready?'
'Hi there! Yes, I'm ready.' I smile, stepping out the door and locking it behind me. Together, me and Sadie walk to her car and she puts my bag in the boot for me. 'Thanks.' I smile, getting into the passengers side of the car.
'Anytime, Estelle. First things first, congratulations on your babies!'
'Oh, thank you!'
'It's a shame you'll be on maternity leave soon, but at the same time at least you won't be leaving during the most intensive research. Speaking of which, you're probably wondering why I told you to dress so casual.'
'Actually, I was.'
'Well, today being your first day, you'll be in some important meetings until two. There is a staff meeting held so you can meet some people you'll be working closely with. Then, there will be another meeting about timetables, but that's just me and you. You'll get settled into your office from two until four and then at five there is another meeting to summarise the day's research. Also, lunch is from one until quarter to two.'

I process Sadie's information as well as possible. It's a lot to take in. We chat about subjects further away from work, like family. Sadie is really nice and supportive with anything I am having problems with. 'Are you nervous?'
'Yeah, really nervous. I just don't want to mess up.'
'Don't worry about it. Everyone will love you, we've all been in your position and we know how it feels.'
'That's a good point. How is it running the centre?'
'Honestly, it was so nerve racking at first. It still is, especially when you spill coffee on yourself because you're seen as being so important in the centre.' Sadie explains, 'You do get used to it, however.'

Within ten minutes, we arrive at the research centre. There are a few employees arriving and some more inside. Sadie engages in conversations about files that need sorting or data that needs to be logged, but she is constantly including me. 'I would say a line graph. I feel they are the best for data.' I suggest. Sadie and the employee nod. 'Yes. Remember, the data needs to date back to two thousand and nine.' Sadie shouts after the man. He nods and soon he is out of sight, lost in a crowd of people.